Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Scott Stoness's message #11506471 « Zeiss 15mm 2.8 vs Canon TS/17 »

Scott Stoness
Upload & Sell: On
Zeiss 15mm 2.8 vs Canon TS/17

Someone asked me to comment on Zeiss 15mm f2.8. I have decided to compare it my other favorite short lens - the TS-17. The TS-17 is a very good lens

A comparison is:
Zeiss f2.8 is twice as fast
Zeiss has hard stop at infinity and canon goes beyond
Canon has shift which permits easy stitching or removal of UWA bowing of trees
Canon has tilt which I use very little because 17 has pretty good depth at f8 anyway and the plane has to be flat and its challenging to use
They are both manual focus
They are both heavy
They are both pretty expensive - Canon $2200, Zeiss $2900

My conclusion is that zeiss is really good. I prefer TS/17 if there is no star trails (not night shooting) because of the versatility of tilt/shift, quality and ability to avoid bowed trees. In addition, when you shift horizontally from 1 extreme to middle to other extreme and take it into photoshop, it stitches perfectly without any waste to deliver a 11mm wide pano. And if you put the 1.4x on, it works well as a 24mm TS.

But at night, the twice as fast is important for lower ISO and avoidance of star trails.

Surprisingly the zeiss 15 seems to perform better in corners than the TS17 or TS24.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:45 AM
Scott Stoness

Someone asked me to comment on Zeiss 15mm f2.8. I have decided to compare it my other favorite short lens - the TS-17. The TS-17 is a very good lens

A comparison is:
Canon has tilt which I use very little because 17 has pretty good depth at f8 anyway and the plane has to be flat and its challenging to use
They are both heavy

My conclusion is that zeiss is really good. I prefer TS/17 if there is no star trails (not night shooting) because of the versatility of tilt/shift, quality and ability to avoid bowed trees. But at night, the twice as fast is important for lower ISO and avoidance of star trails.

Surprisingly the zeiss 15 seems to perform better in corners than the TS17 or TS24.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Scott Stoness

A comparison is:
They are both heavy

My conclusion is that zeiss is really good. I prefer TS/17 if there is no star trails (not night shooting) because of the versatility of tilt/shift, quality and ability to avoid bowed trees. But at night, the twice as fast is important for lower ISO and avoidance of star trails.

Apr 24, 2013 at 04:20 AM

Previous versions of Scott Stoness's message #11506471 « Zeiss 15mm 2.8 vs Canon TS/17 »