Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RCicala's message #11501091 « Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes... »

RCicala
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

Sometimes
Usually B&W or Heliopan
B&W

There are times they are necessary - blowing sand, salt spray. Most of the time they aren\'t.

I think the real question is what are you protecting? Nikon shooters have more reason to consider it - a lot of Nikon front elements are $700 replacements. Most Canon front elements are under $200, and many (if you are the slightest bit handy) you can replace yourself for around $100 (70-400 f/4, 17-55 IS, etc.). The major exception (that will take a filter) is the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II which is pretty pricey, about $400, but the hood is quite effective protection for that.

Putting good filters on all of my lenses for \'protection\' would cost enough to buy another lens.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:19 PM
RCicala
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes...

Sometimes
Usually B&W or Heliopan
B&W

There are times they are necessary - blowing sand, salt spray. Most of the time they aren\'t.

I think the real question is what are you protecting? Nikon shooters have more reason to consider it - a lot of Nikon front elements are $700 replacements. Most Canon front elements are under $200, and many (if you are the slightest bit handy) you can replace yourself for around $100 (70-400 f/4, 17-55 IS, etc.). The major exception (that will take a filter) is the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II which is pretty pricey, about $400, but the hood is quite effective protection for that.

Apr 21, 2013 at 05:17 PM

Previous versions of RCicala's message #11501091 « Filters: Yes, No or Sometimes... »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.