Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Scott Stoness's message #11486319 « Wolves - On Kootenay Highway »

Scott Stoness
Upload & Sell: On
Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

This morning I woke to an alarm that indicated the aurora borealis was out. So I looked out my window and I could see the stars, which caused me to jump in the truck and go looking.

The 4:30 evening shooting was disappointing - not much color.

Then I went driving looking for landscapes but the light was disappointing.

As I took a desperate shot, I saw something move in my picture - it was a wolf. So I took pictures of the wolf pack for a while, and then lost sight of them. And I got in my truck and drove down the road to try to catch them. I knew they were traveling south and there was an opening in the trees a 1/4 mile away. I saw them again and followed them for a while, standing on the side of the road peering through the trees as they hung out and howled and moving to see them through the branches, until they one by one headed in the bush close to me and then started to cross the road. As he crossed the road, one of the wolves (the alpha male) looked at me and then approached closer and closer, each time he came forward 20' I would put my lens down he would stop but then when I took pictures he would close another 20', until he was 50' away chickened out [I did not want my $11000 lens left out for him to knock down and I did not want to late to late so I had to confront him and I had this nagging worry about where the other wolves had disappeared to - I felt like an Elk] and got in the truck and proceeded to shoot with my 5diii and 70-200 through the open window. The wolf was either coming to eat me or was confused about my tripod. Scary to think if I did not have my car.

Then the wolf went away and the wolves started howling around me. To the east a couple, then to the west, then to the South. They had managed in a short time to surround me.

It was an great morning.

I hike in this area a lot - from now on, I will be putting my wolf spray on my belt first.

Comments and feedback is appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 12

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Scott Stoness
Upload & Sell: On
Wolves - On Kootenay Highway

This morning I woke to an alarm that indicated the aurora borealis was out. So I looked out my window and I could see the stars, which caused me to jump in the truck and go looking.

The 4:30 evening shooting was disappointing - not much color.

Then I went driving looking for landscapes but the light was disappointing.

As I took a desperate shot, I saw something move in my picture - it was a wolf. So I took pictures of the wolf pack for a while, and then lost sight of them. And drove down the road to try to catch them. I saw them again and followed them for a while until the started crossing the road. One of the wolves looked at me and then approached closer and closer until I chickened out and got in the car and proceeded to shoot with my 5diii and 70-200. The wolf was either coming to eat me or was confused about my tripod. Scary to think if I did not have my car.

Then the wolf went away and the wolves started howling around me. To the east a couple, then to the west, then to the South. They had managed in a short time to surround me.

It was an great morning.

Comments and feedback is appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 12

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:10 AM

Previous versions of Scott Stoness's message #11486319 « Wolves - On Kootenay Highway »