Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of MarkdV's message #11478367 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

MarkdV
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some more from Lago di Garda.

This set is with the 75-150mm Sereis E.
This lens, like the 28mm f2.8 Series E I have a love-hate relationship with. The lens is very light and feels funny on a heavy FX camera but is much better balanced on the D200. The zoom range is a little funny, 75mm is a nice start but 150mm feels neither here nor there - if it had extended out to 180mm I would have been a little happier but it's still a nice flexible lens. On the DX format the Focal length equivilency is 110 - 225mm and it would make a nice companion witht he 300mm f4.5 in the field.
The operation of the lens is a little funny, you push the zoom away from the camera to get a wider field of view and pull towards you to narrow the view. I sometimes get this wrong and it is an anoyance, more so than it deserves to be. However for a simple lens with a simple optical formula the results are very good. Like the 28mm Series E the colour rendition I find to be quite unique and very pleasing. I am not sure if this is the same on the other ones (Kevin do you find this on your more extensive range of Sereis E lenses?) but I like it on these lenses.
Vignetting is an issue in some circumstances but it is more pleasing than the mechanilal looking vignetting on the 50mm f/1.2, although it can still be an irritation depending on subject.

Overall I think this is lens is like that guy you meet occasionally at the pub that seems a really nice guy, but you just can't like as much as he deserves, maybe because he has a really bad haircut or terribly dress sence and although that shouldn't affect anything you just can't bring yourself to go bowling with the guy.

So a bit more about Lago di Garda.
For the Geology nuts out there the lake was created during one of the last ice Ages, carved out by a huge glacier with a particular name (Paliolithic?). It is on the southern end of where the African plate is crashing into the European plate and driving up the Alps (Peter, you are getting closer!) so there are frequent earthquakes in the region. The lake is fed from meltwater but has a 27 year interchange of water so despite the cold water coming into the lake it still maintains a relatively stable and warm temperature.
The south end of the lake opens out into the Lombardian plains and this is why the lake has a regular wind pattern that makes the lake so popular for watersports like Sailing and Windsurfing. The Northern area of the lake used to be a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until WWI when it was awarded to Italy as a part of the Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye (which was the Austrian version of the more well known Treaty of Versailles).
During the second half of WWII the town of Salo acted the effective capital of Mussolini's Italian Social Republic which earned this area the title of the Republic of Salo until the 25th April 1945 when the totality of Italy was liberated by a major Allied and Partisan uprising.

As mentioned in the last set the region used to be a major lemon growing area, commercially from the C18th to 1924 and it was the furthest North place that Lemons could be grown commercially, giving the location a competitive advantage to get lemons to Northern countries like Germany, Austria & Russia earlier and in better quality than the southern areas, although after the invention of mortorized transportation the situation changed and the lemon industry declined until 1924 when a severe winter destroyed the last of the crops still grown.
These days the economy is based very heavily on tourism especially from Milano and Verona which are both only 90 minutes away (Less if you drive like an Italian).

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Previous versions of MarkdV's message #11478367 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »