Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of MarcG19's message #11475339 « The D400 »

MarcG19
Upload & Sell: On
Re: The D400

I'd agree with what Thom's said, either in that article or previously, on the subject. Most compelling points in favor:

- NIkon exists to make people buy cameras

- they need to introduce at least one new camera this year, beyond a D3200 iteration, that will sell in reasonably high numbers.

- they want to sell the most DSLRs of any company this year (i.e. beat Canon)

- they make most of their money off of DX, because sales volume even today is way higher than FX.

- the existing "pro" DX camera is ancient in comparison to the rest of the line (pro = a DX camera Nikon will support in NPS. I personally think other distinctions are meaningless)

- some recent Nikon iterations have been confused and seem to reflect internal company dynamics - especially uncreative, even odd iteration to grab market share and get old customers to repurchase updated versions of what they have - rather than any sense of what customers want

- Nikon could just give a D7100 with the "pro" features listed in Thom's article, a larger buffer, and higher FPS, adn I think they think it would sell well at $1700 (I'd agree and it'd scratch an itch many people have, though not too well).

Only thing IMO left to see is:

- obvious iteration or something more inventive? I would prefer the latter, with an integrated grip, some of the other features we've seen in other cameras (Thom mentions some, particularly some things from the V1/2) trickling in, perhaps even a good video implementation. Even though I don't shoot video, I would be very interested in such a camera.

- how much? $1600-1700 is reasonable given past practice and the D7100 and D600. But, since the D600 became effectively a $1700 camera over the holidays, maybe they'll lower the prices on that and establish the D300s replacement as the $2000 or so camera. If it had good features (i.e. more than just a pro D7100), I think many people would pay that price (and keep D600 sales high).

In the meantime, I'm waiting. If it comes and I like it, I'll get it. If not, I'm keeping my D7000 until next Black Friday, when I presume the D7100 will have a nice discount.

Apr 10, 2013 at 04:17 AM
MarcG19
Upload & Sell: On
Re: The D400

I'd agree with what Thom's said, either in that article or previously, on the subject. Most compelling points in favor:

- NIkon exists to make people buy cameras

- they need to introduce at least one new camera this year, beyond a D3200 iteration, that will sell in reasonably high numbers.

- they want to sell the most DSLRs of any company this year (i.e. beat Canon)

- they make most of their money off of DX, because sales volume even today is way higher than FX.

- the existing "pro" DX camera is ancient in comparison to the rest of the line (pro = a DX camera Nikon will support in NPS. I personally think other distinctions are meaningless)

- some recent Nikon iterations have been confused and seem to reflect internal company dynamics - especially uncreative, even odd iteration to grab market share and get old customers to repurchase updated versions of what they have - rather than any sense of what customers want

- Nikon could just give a D7100 with the "pro" features listed in Thom's article, a larger buffer, and higher FPS, adn I think they think it would sell well at $1700 (I'd agree and it'd scratch an itch many people have, though not too well).

Only thing IMO left to see is:

- obvious iteration or something more inventive? I would prefer the latter, with an integrated grip, some of the other features we've seen in other cameras (Thom mentions some, particularly some things from the V1/2) trickling in, perhaps even a good video implementation. Even though I don't shoot video, I would be very interested in such a camera.

- how much? $1600-1700 is reasonable given past practice and the D7100 and D600. But, since the D600 became effectively a $1700 camera over the holidays, maybe they'll lower the prices on that and establish the D300s replacement as the $2000 or so camera. If it had good features (i.e. more than just a pro D7100), I think many people would pay that price (and keep D600 sales high).

In the meantime, I'm waiting. If it comes and I like it, I'll get it. If not, I'm keeping my D7000 until next Black Friday, when I presume the D7100 will gave a nice discount.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Previous versions of MarcG19's message #11475339 « The D400 »