Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11468150 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is truly my last 55mm 1.2 SC test posting, I decided to draw a quick comparison between the SC and the 50mm 1.2 ais. I did not want to work too much, therefore decided NOT to use the D800. The differences between these lenses are decades, therefore the difference should be obvious on a D3, right!

Pictures first, comments at the end. I will not post crops, but these pictures are full res in flickr if you care to inspect.

Test under bright sunlight with white subjects in the frame, worst condition for these lenses. ISO 100 D3. NO aberration correction, lateral or logitudinal, Color balance manual to sunlight. NO processing whatsoever other than NX2 RAW rendition as landscape, equal settings.

Both focused carefully in the same spot, a little flower that is in the shade of the white ones, to place the white flowers ever so slightly out of focus.

First the 55 full open

NIKON NIKKOR 55MM 1.2 SC D3 FULL APERTURE BRIGHT SUN by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The 50 full open

NIKON NIKKOR 50MM 1.2 D3 AT 1.2 BRIGHT SUN by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The 55 at 5.6, optimal aperture for detail definition

NIKON NIKKOR 55MM 1.2 D3 AT 5.6 BRIGHT SUN by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The 50mm at 5.6

NIKON NIKKOR 50MM 1.2 D3 AT 5.6 BRIGHT SUN by Rafael CA, on Flickr

My conclusions:

The 55 is a tinge warmer, the 50 a tinge sharper, but I am not too sure as these are small diferences.

Hereby I authoritatively conclude:

Maybe I am not such a good tester.

Maybe the difference between these two lenses is really not significant, at least for weed photography in sunlight. One would need to spend a full day with a D800E under all kinds of light conditions, apertures and distances, which I do not care to do.

Maybe this type of testing is a waste of time. The only good lens test is to verify a lens you bought is not damaged.

PS: Maybe a little frustrated the more beautiful rendition of the 55mm and the much sharper 50mm did not obviate their differences, casting doubt in my pre-conceptions.

Hereby I leave you more enlightened.

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:33 PM
rafaelcasd

This is truly my last 55mm 1.2 SC test posting, I decided to draw a quick comparison between the SC and the 50mm 1.2 ais. I did not want to work too much, therefore decided NOT to use the D800. The differences between these lenses are decades, therefore the difference should be obvious on a D3, right!

Pictures first, comments at the end. I will not post crops, but these pictures are full res in flickr if you care to inspect.

Test under bright sunlight with white subjects in the frame, worst condition for these lenses. ISO 100 D3. NO aberration correction, lateral or logitudinal, Color balance manual to sunlight. NO processing whatsoever other than NX2 RAW rendition as landscape, equal settings.

Both focused carefully in the same spot, a little flower that is in the shade of the white ones, to place the white flowers ever so slightly out of focus.

First the 55 full open

The 50 full open

The 50mm at 5.6

My conclusions:

The 55 is a tinge warmer, the 50 a tinge sharper, but I am not too sure as these are small diferences.

Maybe the difference between these two lenses is really not significant, at least for weed photography in sunlight. One would need to spend a full day with a D800E under all kinds of light conditions, apertures and distances, which I do not care to do.

Maybe this type of testing is a waste of time. The only good lens test is to verify a lens you bought is not damaged.

PS: Maybe a little frustrated the more beautiful rendition of the 55mm and the much sharper 50mm did not obviate their differences.

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:30 PM
rafaelcasd

Test under bright sunlight with white subjects in the frame, worst condition for these lenses. ISO 100 D3. NO aberration correction, lateral or logitudinal, Color balance manual to sunlight. NO processing whatsoever other than NX2 RAW rendition as landscape.

First the 55 full open

The 50 full open

The 50mm at 5.6

My conclusions:

PS: Maybe a little frustrated the more beautiful rendition of the 55mm and the much sharper 50mm did not obviate their differences.

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:29 PM
rafaelcasd

Test under bright sunlight with white subjects in the frame, worst condition for these lenses. ISO 100 D3. NO aberration correction, lateral or logitudinal, Color balance manual to sunlight. NO processing whatsoever other than NX2 RAW rendition as landscape.

First the 55 full open

The 50 full open

The 50mm at 5.6

My conclusions:

Maybe the difference between these two lenses is really not signifcant, at least for weed photography in sunlight.

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:23 PM

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11468150 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »