Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Rob_O's message #11466144 « Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread »

Rob_O
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Fujifilm X-Pro1 & XE-1 Image Thread

ddjohns1 wrote:

Rob, I really like your photos, thanks for posting, they are fantastic. What is your preferred method of triggering long exposures-- do you use a cable, set the timer function or something else? Also, do you have a favorite tripod for using you X-E1 when you are traveling? It looks like you used a sturdy Gitzo for the 5DIII but I have to imagine something more portable would be plenty for the X-E1?

Thanks. I use a Chinese knockoff of the Canon TC-80N3 remote to trigger the shutter; this one specifically. Works great. I shoot with the camera in Live View mode, which can see through the 10-stop filter when exposure is set correctly (believe it or not), and means the mirror is locked up.

The tripod I use most for travel is a Gitzo 1542T with RRS BH40 ball head. Great combo; lightweight and the Gitzo folds up damn near flat so easy to pack in 'carry on' bag when flying. I will use it for the X-E1 as well once I have a acra swiss plate for the Fuji.

I bought a Gorlliapod Zoom for the Fuji as well, but in a landscape environment it's too close to the ground. I tried hanging it off the side of the Gitzo. Didn't work well.

ETA

Here's a shot I took some time back comparing the GT1542 with RRS BH40 in "travel mode" against the Manfrotto 190MF in its most compact state. The 190 is a fairly small tripod, and being magfiber fairly light. The Gitzo kills it in every way (at 4x the price though)

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Rob_O
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Fujifilm X-Pro1 & XE-1 Image Thread

ddjohns1 wrote:

Rob, I really like your photos, thanks for posting, they are fantastic. What is your preferred method of triggering long exposures-- do you use a cable, set the timer function or something else? Also, do you have a favorite tripod for using you X-E1 when you are traveling? It looks like you used a sturdy Gitzo for the 5DIII but I have to imagine something more portable would be plenty for the X-E1?

Thanks. I use a Chinese knockoff of the Canon TC-80N3 remote to trigger the shutter; this one specifically. Works great. I shoot with the camera in Live View mode, which can see through the 10-stop filter when exposure is set correctly (believe it or not), and means the mirror is locked up.

The tripod I use most for travel is a Gitzo 1542T with RRS BH40 ball head. Great combo; lightweight and the Gitzo folds up damn near flat so easy to pack in 'carry on' bag when flying. I will use it for the X-E1 as well once I have a acra swiss plate for the Fuji.

I bought a Gorlliapod Zoom for the Fuji as well, but in a landscape environment it's too close to the ground. I tried hanging it off the side of the Gitzo. Didn't work well.

Apr 05, 2013 at 06:59 PM

Previous versions of Rob_O's message #11466144 « Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread »