Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of zhangyue's message #11453803 « More Mpix or perfect per-pixel quality? »

zhangyue
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: More Mpix or perfect per-pixel quality?

mpmendenhall wrote:
zhangyue wrote:
One thing, I want to add for 14 bit DR sensor, there might be benefit to process with higher bit DAC to achieve truly 14 bit performance. People do this all the time with CD player which is red book 16 bit but process with 20bit and even 24 bit to implement digital cut off filter easier.

Audio recording applications can go "overkill" on sampling rate and bit depth because these days it's trivial to build electronic circuits that can measure a much wider range of frequencies than human hearing can detect, and a much wider dynamic range of sound than will ever occur in "real" recording

A bit off topic. But for audio, there is theory that people can feel freq after 20k and below 20hz, but nobody can really verify that.

Since it almost became a industry standard that 24bit 192khz, everybody do that. But obviously, there is no real advantage compare say 18bit DAC can have true 16 bit red book performance. SACD and DVD audio both claim higher performance than CD, but nobody can survive a bland test. And sure they both died even earlier than old redbook format, leave with tens of 24 bits high performance DAC floating around.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:49 AM

Previous versions of zhangyue's message #11453803 « More Mpix or perfect per-pixel quality? »