Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of cgardner's message #11436130 « WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help »

cgardner
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

I like the card shot but don't feel it creates much in the way of an interesting story beyond the fact the Jack contrasts.

What came to mind seeing your card shot was an "over the shoulder POV" shot where a big pile of poker chips is seen on the table OOF beyond cards held upright with one hand as a a hand inserting the Ace into the hand as if it was just drawn to complete a long shot gamble to win the pot. The addition of the pile of chips in the background would add context which will make the story the photo tells more interesting as would the implied action of drawing the Ace to complete the hand and win the pot seen in the background.

The Chess / Flower shot didn't work for me because the size of the flower dwarfs the chess pieces.

To make the Chess / Flower shot work better I'd suggest the same "over the shoulder of the King" approach. If you stood behind the King as he gave flowers to the queen the flowers would be in scale with the bodies and you'd see the back of the King in the foreground, flowers in the middle and Queen's face in the foreground. To make that work you'd need to find some very tiny flowers, but I think it would deliver the implied message more literally and be grasped by more viewers.

Another chess related shallow DOF shot you might try is a shot of a board set up in a Checkmate configuration with the opposing King laid-down as when conceding the match from the POV of the losing side. The laid-down King would be sharply focused, the surrounding pieces which created the Checkmate in the background slightly OOF. If you wanted to elevate it to the Chess-geek level you might use the ending of game six of the Fisher-Spassky match you can find here: http://www.wtharvey.com/fisc.html

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM
cgardner
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

I like the card shot but don't feel it creates much in the way of an interesting story beyond the fact the Jack contrasts.

What came to mind seeing your card shot was an "over the shoulder POV" shot where a big pile of poker chips is seen on the table OOF beyond cards held upright with one hand as a a hand inserting the Ace into the hand as if it was just drawn to complete a long shot gamble to win the pot. The addition of the pile of chips in the background would add context which will make the story the photo tells more interesting as would the implied action of drawing the Ace to complete the hand and win the pot seen in the background.

The Chess / Flower shot didn't work for me because the size of the flower dwarfs the chess pieces.

To make the Chess / Flower shot work better I'd suggest the same "over the shoulder of the King" approach. If you stood behind the King as he gave flowers to the queen the flowers would be in scale with the bodies and you'd see the back of the King in the foreground, flowers in the middle and Queen's face in the foreground. To make that work you'd need to find some very tiny flowers, but I think it would deliver the implied message more literally and be grasped by more viewers.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Previous versions of cgardner's message #11436130 « WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help »