Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #11401159 « Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS reviewed at Photozone »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS reviewed at Photozone

gdanmitchell wrote:
In the majority of photographs you don't even notice it and no correction is necessary.

melcat replied:
I suppose you mean you don't notice it.

No, I wrote precisely what I meant. Photographers and viewers won't notice it, and in many cases some vignetting works to focus attention on the central portion of the image - the reason that many photographers/printers have and continue to employ the option of burning down edges a bit.

gdanmitchell wrote:
The vignetting is easily eliminated (in most cases automatically, if that is your choice) in post when using software that includes lens profiles.

melcat replied:
You are rather missing the point here.

Don't think so.

melcat wrote:
I am happy for you if your personal style happens to suit the lens defects on offer, but I prefer to make my own artistic decisions.

Classy: "... your personal style happens to suite the lens defects..." Somehow, I suspect that your "happ[iness] for" me may be a bit less than genuine... ;-)

And you are, of course, free to make any decisions you want and I would not suggest otherwise.

Despite the sideshow, the primary thrust of my reply to your earlier message was directed toward your assertion regarding vignetting at 24mm for landscape photography, as follows:

melcat wrote:
If the vignetting really doesn't go away at 24mm no matter how much you stop down I would consider that a serious problem for landscape.

Take care,

24-105mm f/4 L IS:

Mar 08, 2013 at 06:07 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #11401159 « Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS reviewed at Photozone »