Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of mpmendenhall's message #11390708 « Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon »

mpmendenhall
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

Steve Spencer wrote:
I hope they follow the design of the 35 f/1.4, allowing some spherical aberrations wide open but delivering great bokeh and excellent CA control. This lens would then make a very different sort of portrait lens than the new 135 APO, and they would complement each other well.

Given the apparent design goals of this series, I think it's an unlikely place to find "pleasant aberrations" intentionally left in. Assuming a similar price range to the 55/1.4, this lens will cost ~2x as much as the 135/2 APO --- so I suspect it will be an even more strongly aimed at clinically precise, ultra-high contrast/resolution, "modern" rendering from wide open. The wide-open background blur will probably be distinguished by being extremely uniform --- very little vignetting, "swirl", "cat's eyes," bright rings, color fringing, etc.

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:05 PM

Previous versions of mpmendenhall's message #11390708 « Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon »