Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11383703 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
This may be the last posting of the trip before I return this weekend.

It was time to revisit the coffee farm, coffee raised me and paid for my schooling at CAL. Our farm was nearby, but one of the best looking farms I know belongs to my brother\'s in-laws. Here is the volcano it is in, the farm starts halfway up and ends at the top, over 5000 feet people do not plant coffee and it is virgin forest. 2/3 up the way on the right side is the little house we went to. At the bottom is a modern coffee mill.

An amazing set Rafael, beautiful place well captured.

I assume they are growing Arabica coffe at that altitude. Why do they stop at 5,000 feet, I though that close to the equator you should be able to grow good coffee to 6,000? Have they been affected by the coffee rust blight that is affecting some of the South American countries?
If I remember correctly El-Salvador is one of the few countries in the world that is increasing its\' forest cover, is that right?

Again, thanks for kindling the 16mm envy!

Thank you Mark, Arabica it is, you may be right about the altitude. My friend who is an agronomer was telling me that 5000 is old wive\'s (farmer\'s?) tale and that we should be able to plant higher, on the other hand they might as well keep believing it as this preserves cloud rain forest. Rust has been a big problem and the corrupt goverment has done nothing about it, wait until they loose that tax income. The country seems to be at least keeping its tree cover. This is the middle of dry season. We are at 14 deg north.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:03 PM
rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
This may be the last posting of the trip before I return this weekend.

It was time to revisit the coffee farm, coffee raised me and paid for my schooling at CAL. Our farm was nearby, but one of the best looking farms I know belongs to my brother\'s in-laws. Here is the volcano it is in, the farm starts halfway up and ends at the top, over 5000 feet people do not plant coffee and it is virgin forest. 2/3 up the way on the right side is the little house we went to. At the bottom is a modern coffee mill.

An amazing set Rafael, beautiful place well captured.

I assume they are growing Arabica coffe at that altitude. Why do they stop at 5,000 feet, I though that close to the equator you should be able to grow good coffee to 6,000? Have they been affected by the coffee rust blight that is affecting some of the South American countries?
If I remember correctly El-Salvador is one of the few countries in the world that is increasing its\' forest cover, is that right?

Again, thanks for kindling the 16mm envy!

Mark, Arabica it is, you may be right about the altitude. My friend who is an agronomer was telling me that 5000 is old wive\'s (farmer\'s?) tale and that we should be able to plant higher, on the other hand they might as well keep believing it as this preserves cloud rain forest. Rust has been a big problem and the corrupt goverment has done nothing about it, wait until they loose that tax income. The country seems to be at least keeping its tree cover. This is the middle of dry season. We are at 14 deg north.

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11383703 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.