Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of carstenw's message #11375779 « M240 Full Res Samples »

carstenw
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: M240 Full Res Samples

thrice wrote:
Interesting. And fair enough, these people shouldn\'t consider the M240. Nor a rangefinder camera for that matter. Imagine getting fully invested into Leica glass expecting them to manufacture a camera system unlike their forte or tradition. Insanity.

This is what would have been needed to fulfil the promise of a solution for R lens users, IMO. They fell short, which annoys me. I am normally a Leica backer, and even am now, but the M9 gets to the 80-90% mark and gets stuck there.

thrice wrote:
No it didn\'t go up. In Australia I paid significantly more than that for my M9.

Okay, I had forgotten that M9 prices were so insane. When it came out here it was only a bit more than an M8. Anyway, the M9 is no longer in the lineup, and the M-E is, right?

All I can say is the marketing and product design direction and positioning Leica have adopted is yielding huge profits. Leica putting in their own stores has increased business in surrounding dealers noticeably. One dealer I look after installed an in-store boutique and Leica sales more than doubled. The strategy is sound, and is proving itself in tough market conditions. Photography purist might not like it, but the majority of customers do.

Agreed, I don\'t argue with their current success, only the extrapolation of it past questionable choices.

I know the M6 is great in dimensions and I miss mine. The new M body is 0.5mm (you know how little that is right?) thicker, not due to the thumb wheel.

I know that is very little. I doubt I could tell unless I had both camera in front of me to feel. But it is undoubtedly the wrong direction. Everyone I know who has owned an M6 or earlier has lamented the chubbiness of the digi-Ms.

There is a lot on the distant horizon to make everyone happy, maybe even you Carsten. If the M240 does not tick enough boxes, maybe wait for the next product.

I recall my time with the M8 with fondness, and was hoping that the M240 would move away from some of the problems which made me leave, but I don\'t see it yet. Maybe one day. I would love to own the system again, but the prices are rising higher than my pay.

Off topic and not referring to your contributions to the discussion, but one thing that amazes me is how Leica brings people who don\'t actually want the product out of the woodwork to comment

Just a little bit like guns or religion, everyone has an opinion about Leica.

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:06 AM
carstenw
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: M240 Full Res Samples

thrice wrote:
Interesting. And fair enough, these people shouldn\'t consider the M240. Nor a rangefinder camera for that matter. Imagine getting fully invested into Leica glass expecting them to manufacture a camera system unlike their forte or tradition. Insanity.

This is what would have been needed to fulfil the promise of a solution for R lens users, IMO. They fell short, which annoys me. I am normally a Leica backer, and even am now, but the M240 gets to the 80-90% mark and gets stuck there.

thrice wrote:
No it didn\'t go up. In Australia I paid significantly more than that for my M9.

Okay, I had forgotten that M9 prices were so insane. When it came out here it was only a bit more than an M8. Anyway, the M9 is no longer in the lineup, and the M-E is, right?

All I can say is the marketing and product design direction and positioning Leica have adopted is yielding huge profits. Leica putting in their own stores has increased business in surrounding dealers noticeably. One dealer I look after installed an in-store boutique and Leica sales more than doubled. The strategy is sound, and is proving itself in tough market conditions. Photography purist might not like it, but the majority of customers do.

Agreed, I don\'t argue with their current success, only the extrapolation of it past questionable choices.

I know the M6 is great in dimensions and I miss mine. The new M body is 0.5mm (you know how little that is right?) thicker, not due to the thumb wheel.

I know that is very little. I doubt I could tell unless I had both camera in front of me to feel. But it is undoubtedly the wrong direction. Everyone I know who has owned an M6 or earlier has lamented the chubbiness of the digi-Ms.

There is a lot on the distant horizon to make everyone happy, maybe even you Carsten. If the M240 does not tick enough boxes, maybe wait for the next product.

I recall my time with the M8 with fondness, and was hoping that the M240 would move away from some of the problems which made me leave, but I don\'t see it yet. Maybe one day. I would love to own the system again, but the prices are rising higher than my pay.

Off topic and not referring to your contributions to the discussion, but one thing that amazes me is how Leica brings people who don\'t actually want the product out of the woodwork to comment

Just a little bit like guns or religion, everyone has an opinion about Leica.

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:55 AM

Previous versions of carstenw's message #11375779 « M240 Full Res Samples »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.