Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of thrice's message #11374527 « M240 Full Res Samples »

thrice
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: M240 Full Res Samples

I hope you don't mind me commenting on your comments Carsten, I am not in any way trying to be antagonistic.

carstenw wrote:
- Higher resolution sensor (18MP is enough for me; I would buy an 18-24MP D800 if one existed)

18 to 24mp is a very small linear increase. It is due to the most stable manufacturing process at STM being around 0.18 Ám.

carstenw wrote:
- More accurate RF (Really? Confirmed or marketing? User adjustable? More accurate or more precise?)
- 2m frames (the M8.2 already had this. The M9 was a regression.)

Same thing, but the RF mechanism is the same as M9. Only frameline optimisation is changed.

carstenw wrote:
- Illuminated frames (Schnick-schnack. If you can't see the frame lines, there is no light.)

I have shot night scapes where there wasn't enough light for framelines. This is just an evolution, I recommend trying it before knocking it.

carstenw wrote:
- No card issues (Confirmed? I never had problems with my cards.)

I didn't know you shot at M9? Mine has had the occasional card issue with approved cards. They are minor though.

carstenw wrote:
- No cracked sensors (Confirmed? I never had a cracked sensor.)

The package is quite differently designed, as can be seen below, it should be more durable.

carstenw wrote:
- Higher framerate (For those M sports photographers or run-and-gun millionaire PJs.)
- Larger buffer (")

I hit the buffer regularly when shooting stitched and/or bracketed panos using my Nodal ninja. It was extremely frustrating when light was rapidly changing.
The new shutter will also allow you to set a 'middle' exposure and bracket around it, something mechanically impossible on the M9.

carstenw wrote:
- 3 metering modes (I use A for everything I do, sometimes with Auto-ISO.)

You misinterpret the term "metering mode" it refers to center weighted (as in previous M's), spot and matrix. The latter being useful for any shot with a strong point light-source, an Achilles of the M9.

carstenw wrote:
- Better high ISO. <= First point I missed that I care about. True.

The chief request from M9 owners.

carstenw wrote:
- Live View (Listed separately, since this is the source of the current controversy.)
- Magnified view (What is this item, listed separately from live view?)

For me, basic live-view for composition and grad positioning is great, don't care at all about magnification because I focus using the scale on the lens for landscape.

carstenw wrote:The price is also nuts.
But less nuts than any other digital M.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:29 PM
thrice
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: M240 Full Res Samples

I hope you don't mind me commenting on your comments Carsten, I am not in any way trying to be antagonistic.

carstenw wrote:
- Higher resolution sensor (18MP is enough for me; I would buy an 18-24MP D800 if one existed)

18 to 24mp is a very small linear increase. It is due to the most stable manufacturing process at CMOSIS being 6um pixels.

carstenw wrote:
- More accurate RF (Really? Confirmed or marketing? User adjustable? More accurate or more precise?)
- 2m frames (the M8.2 already had this. The M9 was a regression.)

Same thing, but the RF mechanism is the same as M9. Only frameline optimisation is changed.

carstenw wrote:
- Illuminated frames (Schnick-schnack. If you can't see the frame lines, there is no light.)

I have shot night scapes where there wasn't enough light for framelines. This is just an evolution, I recommend trying it before knocking it.

carstenw wrote:
- No card issues (Confirmed? I never had problems with my cards.)

I didn't know you shot at M9? Mine has had the occasional card issue with approved cards. They are minor though.

carstenw wrote:
- No cracked sensors (Confirmed? I never had a cracked sensor.)

The package is quite differently designed, as can be seen below, it should be more durable.

carstenw wrote:
- Higher framerate (For those M sports photographers or run-and-gun millionaire PJs.)
- Larger buffer (")

I hit the buffer regularly when shooting stitched and/or bracketed panos using my Nodal ninja. It was extremely frustrating when light was rapidly changing.
The new shutter will also allow you to set a 'middle' exposure and bracket around it, something mechanically impossible on the M9.

carstenw wrote:
- 3 metering modes (I use A for everything I do, sometimes with Auto-ISO.)

You misinterpret the term "metering mode" it refers to center weighted (as in previous M's), spot and matrix. The latter being useful for any shot with a strong point light-source, an Achilles of the M9.

carstenw wrote:
- Better high ISO. <= First point I missed that I care about. True.

The chief request from M9 owners.

carstenw wrote:
- Live View (Listed separately, since this is the source of the current controversy.)
- Magnified view (What is this item, listed separately from live view?)

For me, basic live-view for composition and grad positioning is great, don't care at all about magnification because I focus using the scale on the lens for landscape.

carstenw wrote:The price is also nuts.
But less nuts than any other digital M.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:15 PM

Previous versions of thrice's message #11374527 « M240 Full Res Samples »