Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of cgardner's message #11351065 « Best of this set of bird pictures? »

cgardner
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Best of this set of bird pictures?

The "inside-out" approach I use for cropping is explained in this tutorial: http://photo.nova.org/Cropping/ It also covers other aspects of composition.

In a shot like this the bird is the strong focal point viewers will go to first. The question dictating the cropping decision is where do you want the viewer look next. In other words think in term of "leading" lines leading away from the primary focal point, not towards it. Seems counter-intuitive but that's how people view photos; go to what contrasts the most first (or is seen as most important), then wandering off it to explore the next most interesting thing in the frame.

When max. attention is wanted on the main focal point eliminate all other distractions with a tight crop. When background context is needed to complete the who, what, where, when, how journalistic story frame work widen the crop to answer those questions. It's journalism 101.

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:34 PM

Previous versions of cgardner's message #11351065 « Best of this set of bird pictures? »