Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of jhinkey's message #11342770 « Nikon 24-85mm VR vs 24-85mm NON VR »

jhinkey
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Nikon 24-85mm VR vs 24-85mm NON VR

I have both.

The non-VR and VR have about the same build quality, though my VR seems to have no wobble to the front element when fully extended while my non-VR has a very very small amount of wobble (though it is used and may have worn in just a tad).

The non-VR is noticeably better at the long end sharpness wise at all apertures while the VR is bit sharper and slightly higher contrast at the wide end (wide open - at smaller apertures they are pretty equal). In the middle (50mm) both are about the same and very very good.

The VR is pretty good, though not the best (not like the new 70-200/4 which is amazing).

As far as flare and ghosting I have not noticed any significant difference.

The both have about the same light fall-off wide open and there is some significant vignetting in the far corners at the wide end that can be annoying at times, especially if you have a CPL on them.

Both seem to focus just as fast as each other.

I have not made up my mind as which to keep. Remember I have exactly a sample size of 1 for each lens so sample variation could be at play.

I was expecting much better performance from the VR version with the more sophisticated optical design.

John

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:12 AM

Previous versions of jhinkey's message #11342770 « Nikon 24-85mm VR vs 24-85mm NON VR »