Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of form's message #11333877 « Tried to catch the Nikon bug... »

form
Upload & Sell: Off
Sorry Nikon, you didn't win me...

MikeW wrote:
You are shooting weddings with a camera that has 36mp with prime lenses wide open & you are surprised at the result.

Why don't you rent a D700, D3 or a D4 & try again with those lenses. Bad combo to declare nikon lenses blow imo.

I'd consider canon if the cameras weren't so damn ugly, yes I'm vain :P

It's not just the image quality, it's more so the focus. 36mp or 12mp wouldn't affect the focus. It's not that the lenses blow, I just 1. don't like the 85's bokeh (although I like the 35's bokeh), 2. the 35 focuses too slow in all environments for me since I am accustomed to the Canon 35L's much faster focusing and I missed a number of shots with the 35g specifically because of slow focus, 3. both lenses seemed to have some difficulty with subjects near hyperfocal distance (frequently misfocusing slightly in front or back but not as often right on target), 4. both lenses pretty consistently backfocused on backlit subjects in many situations where my Canon stuff did not exhibit the same problem.

Maybe different technique would yield better results (I have a history of difficulty with getting reliable focus out of cameras that have options for AF tracking acquisition and retention, maybe their sensors are made differently), but I guess I have "canon 5d2" technique...it's possible that I might even have focus problems with a 5d3 that I don't currently have with my 5d2 because of certain habits I grew accustomed to over years.

I shoot nearly wide open often because 1. I deal with lots of dark environments, 2. I like the look of selective focus that reduces the distracting nature of other objects in the frame and makes it easier for the eyes to lock onto the intended point of interest...as long as that point of interest is in focus.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:21 PM
form
Upload & Sell: Off
Sorry Nikon, you didn't win me...

MikeW wrote:
You are shooting weddings with a camera that has 36mp with prime lenses wide open & you are surprised at the result.

Why don't you rent a D700, D3 or a D4 & try again with those lenses. Bad combo to declare nikon lenses blow imo.

I'd consider canon if the cameras weren't so damn ugly, yes I'm vain :P

It's not just the image quality, it's more so the focus. 36mp or 12mp wouldn't affect the focus. It's not that the lenses blow, I just 1. don't like the 85's bokeh (although I like the 35's bokeh), 2. the 35 focuses too slow in all environments for me since I am accustomed to the Canon 35L's much faster focusing and I missed a number of shots with the 35g specifically because of slow focus, 3. both lenses seemed to have some difficulty with subjects near hyperfocal distance (frequently misfocusing slightly in front or back but not as often right on target), 4. both lenses pretty consistently backfocused on backlit subjects in many situations where my Canon stuff did not exhibit the same problem.

Maybe different technique would yield better results (I have a history of difficulty with getting reliable focus out of cameras that have options for AF tracking acquisition and retention, maybe their sensors are made differently), but I guess I have "canon 5d2" technique...it's possible that I might even have focus problems with a 5d3 that I don't currently have with my 5d2 because of certain habits I grew accustomed to over years.

I shoot nearly wide open often because I 1. deal with lots of dark environments, 2. I like the look of selective focus that reduces the distracting nature of other objects in the frame and makes it easier for the eyes to lock onto the intended point of interest...as long as that point of interest is in focus.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:11 PM

Previous versions of form's message #11333877 « Tried to catch the Nikon bug... »