Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Cassario's message #11323401 « Sigma 35mm F1.4 - A 2nd Opinion »

Cassario
Upload & Sell: Off
Sigma 35mm F1.4 - A 2nd Opinion

DontShoot wrote:
Gregg Heckler wrote:
"make sure he knows theres a $700 difference brand new."

Would you still buy the Sigma if it was the same price as the Nikkor? I doubt it.

I would.

A lot of folks seem to have this notion that Sigma owners chose the Sigma because it's cheaper. While that idea is generally true for most Sigma lenses, that's simply not the case with this 35 1.4 HSM. Cost was not a factor for me, I wanted the ultimate in sharpness and rendering, and the Sigma delivered. The $900 price tag was just a bonus... but hell I'd happily pay anything as long as it delivers.

Exactly...I actually had the money set aside to buy the Nikon when I first caught wind of the new Sigma coming out so I held off. I have used the Nikon so I am very familiar with it.

Glad you guys like the review, I still personally believe the Sigma is a better all around lens, but I thought that Ray had an interesting view on it. He is a die hard Nikon guy and owns nothing but Nikon glass, so I was curious of what his thoughts were on it once he shot with it. This was the first time he had actually ever shot a third party lens.

As far as the AF fine tuning goes, he didnt eye ball it like I actually do, he pulled out his fancy dancy and expensive fine tuning kit as soon as he screwed the lens on. I honestly don't have a fancy dancy kit, I have one that I printed out myself...thats right. Maybe one day I'll invest in one and do it the right way. His test results have too many other variables involved for me to fully agree with them, and I still believe that the Sigma is sharper and better all around.

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Cassario
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sigma 35mm F1.4 - A 2nd Opinion

DontShoot wrote:
Gregg Heckler wrote:
"make sure he knows theres a $700 difference brand new."

Would you still buy the Sigma if it was the same price as the Nikkor? I doubt it.

I would.

A lot of folks seem to have this notion that Sigma owners chose the Sigma because it's cheaper. While that idea is generally true for most Sigma lenses, that's simply not the case with this 35 1.4 HSM. Cost was not a factor for me, I wanted the ultimate in sharpness and rendering, and the Sigma delivered. The $900 price tag was just a bonus... but hell I'd happily pay anything as long as it delivers.

Exactly...I actually had the money set aside to buy the Nikon when I first caught wind of the new Sigma coming out so I held off. I have used the Nikon so I am very familiar with it.

Glad you guys like the review, I still personally believe the Sigma is a better all around lens, but I thought that Ray had an interesting view on it. He is a die hard Nikon guy and owns nothing but Nikon glass, so I was curious of what his thoughts were on it once he shot with it. This was the first time he had actually ever shot a third party lens.

As far as the AF fine tuning goes, he didnt eye ball it like I actually do, he pulled out his fancy dancy and expensive fine tuning kit as soon as he screwed the lens on. I honestly don't have a fancy dancy kit, I have one that I printed out myself...thats right. His test results have too many other variables involved for me to fully agree with them, and I still believe that the Sigma is sharper and better all around.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:03 PM

Previous versions of Cassario's message #11323401 « Sigma 35mm F1.4 - A 2nd Opinion »