Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Bifurcator's message #11289615 « External HD crashed »

Bifurcator
Upload & Sell: On
Re: External HD crashed

Eh, the system allocated RAM drives of today are only cost prohibitive. They don's show much of a performance boost over two or three SSDs in a RAID0 configuration. Maybe 8% over 3 and 15% over a 2-drive SSD RAID0 - (given fast SSDs of course). We want to think our RAM is SO FAST but it isn't. With a three drive SSD RAID0 configuration (these days) we're already bumping up against the limits of new-ish system bandwidth limits.

I used to use a 4GB RAM Drive when developing and I didn't see that much of an increase over a 4-drive rotational RAID0 array. Compiles which took 90min on the array took about an hour off the RAM drive. And as pointed out system based RAM drives can be expensive. Motherboards with 8, 12 or 16 memory slots aren't really that expensive (or weren't last I looked) compared to the higher capacity RAM modules! 8GB and 16GB modules are still astronomically priced.

I recently upgraded from 12GB to 32GB on this surfing machine here and while I could find 32GB (8x4GB) for $340 the same in 8GB modules (4x8GB) was getting pretty close to $2k. And it's another big jump again when gong to 16GB modules. Additionally with large amounts or RAM (say, about over 8GB total) ECC becomes very desirable and that bumps the prices up even higher. For just 64GB of system RAM we're talking around four or five grand. Compare that even to the very fastest SSD drives and they offer 256GB or 512GB. You could put 4 or 6 of those in your system on RAID0 for less, end up with EXACTLY the same throughput, and have two or three terabytes of SSD storage - Which of course doesn't erase with a system crash, reboot, or power down like a system memory RAM drive will. The same is true with 6 or 8 rotational drives too only now we're down to like $600 to $800 for the full setup with 6 times the number of terabytes.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:00 AM
Bifurcator
Upload & Sell: On
Re: External HD crashed

Eh, the system allocated RAM drives of today are only cost prohibitive. They don's show much of a performance boost over two or three SSDs in a RAID0 configuration. Maybe 8% over 3 and 15% over a 2-drive SSD RAID0 - (given fast SSDs of course). We want to think our RAM is SO FAST but it isn't. With a three drive SSD RAID0 configuration (these days) we're already bumping up against the limits of new-ish system bandwidth limits.

I used to use a 4GB RAM Drive when developing and I didn't see that much of an increase over a 4-drive rotational RAID0 array. Compiles which took 90min on the array took about an hour off the RAM drive. And as pointed out system based RAM drives can be expensive. Motherboards with 8, 12 or 16 memory slots aren't really that expensive (or weren't last I looked) compared to the higher capacity RAM modules! 8GB and 16GB modules are still astronomically priced.

I recently upgraded from 12GB to 32GB on this surfing machine here and while I could find 32GB (8x4GB) for $340 the same in 8GB modules (4x8GB) was getting pretty close to $2k. And it's another big jump again when gong to 16GB modules. Additionally with large amounts or RAM (say, about over 8GB total) ECC becomes very desirable and that bumps the prices up even higher. For just 64GB of system RAM we're talking around four or five grand. Compare that even to the very fastest SSD drives and they offer 256GB or 512GB. You could put 4 or 6 of those in your system on RAID0 for less, end up with EXACTLY the same throughput, and have two or three terabytes of SSD storage - Which of course doesn't erase with a system crash, reboot, or power down like a system memory RAM drive will. The same is true with 6 or 8 rotational drives too only now we're down to like $600 to $800 for the full setup.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:09 AM

Previous versions of Bifurcator's message #11289615 « External HD crashed »