Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of telyt's message #11240109 « lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread »

telyt
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: lens repair/modification/disassembly guide thread

Earlier this year I purchased a Leitz/Novoflex 560mm f/6.8 Telyt on the Novoflex PIGRIFF-C rapid-focus grip, and at the same time I found on the big auction website a very inexpensive Novoflex 400mm f/5.6 T-Noflexar lens head to fit the PIFGRIF-C. It was a few weeks after the 400 arrived before I could test it adequately and immediately found out why it was so inexpensive: the image quality was HORRIBLE. It was so bad that I couldn't discern a plane of focus through the viewfinder.

My previous experience with 2 samples of this model lens was much better so I figured something was messed up on this sample. It's a simple 3-element achromat, there's not much that can go wrong, but I can't imagine it was supposed to be this bad.

Upon disassembly I noticed scratches in the retaining ring holding the rear element in place and guessed that some doofus had taken it apart and re-assembled it wrong. A few minutes with my tools I reversed the rear element, re-assembled and confirmed my hypothesis

Results:

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:50 AM

Previous versions of telyt's message #11240109 « lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread »