Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of jhinkey's message #11236549 « ~100mm & ~200mm Lightweight Prime Options »

jhinkey
Upload & Sell: On
Re: ~100mm & ~200mm Lightweight Prime Options

SSISteve wrote:

You will then likely ask why not the OM-D for the better DR - well it has a horrid menu system, Frankenstein-ish button layout, no built-in flash, no 16:9 native sensor, and needs a grip to be workable which then makes it a very very expensive camera (even before I get to adding lenses). Hopefully the EM-6 will address most of these issues.

John

As an owner of the OM-D I would think this would be a great lightweight option. The menus are not that bad it just takes some time to figure them out since it is a new camera. Personally, I don\'t have a problem with the button layout plus the added bonus of having an articulating touch screen has been great for shooting landscapes. Also not sure why you would need a built in flash for landscape work. There are some great lens options that give you a very lightweight kit.

Steve

Thanks Steve -
I don\'t use the flash for landscape work, but sometimes out in the mountains when I am using it for landscapes it\'s the only camera I have and I use flash for fill light or the only light for candids of my fellow hikers/climbers.

You see, I rarely get an opportunity to just get out and shoot landscapes, so I have to combine it with my hiking/climbing/backpacking/etc. activities and thus my list of desired attributes for lenses and bodies. Hence a built-in flash is very useful to me many times and having to fumble around to find that small add-on flash is just not worth it. I\'ve handled the OM-D several times now and although I\'m sure I could eventually figure it out it\'s just a mess compared to my other cameras (Nikon, Panasonic, etc.) and it should not be that hard. The GH-2 menu system and button layout immediately made sense to me and I have no problems going back and forth between myD800 and now GH-2. The OM-D is a very nice camera for sure and the DR, weather sealing, and IBIS are fantastic - it\'s just not the model for me. Now that Oly 75/1.8 oh man . . . and the rumored 150/2.8 Pany oh man!

Anyways a bit off topic. I admit I perhaps have not done the best explaining my requirements and my camera/lens usage, but I do very much appreciate the ideas and feedback.

John

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:46 PM

Previous versions of jhinkey's message #11236549 « ~100mm & ~200mm Lightweight Prime Options »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.