Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Bifurcator's message #11232545 « Advice on what kind of tripod head to get »

Bifurcator
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Advice on what kind of tripod head to get

For ball heads I like the kind with the screw (stud) on top so I can use whatever kind of release plates fit my current hankering or use it for flashes or other standard threaded mount items directly.

There's so many awesome ball-heads to choose from! Lots of on-line reviews too. Visiting the local camera shop is one good way to pick IMO - unless you're going to go with a bargain brand. For years I've maintained both pro-grade and bargain-brand legs and heads and there's little to no difference. There's a big emotional difference but if it's well designed and reasonably constructed it operates the same: pro or bargain in most cases. Especially for ball heads which are fairly simple devices.

I recently (about 6 months ago?) started using a gimbal head for everything. After using this I doubt I'll ever have the desire to use a ball or 3-way head again. I'm using the $69 Beike model:

For which there's quite a discussion thread to be found here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1105558/0 These might be a little heavy to carry around for some people but I personally don't notice any difference. If I have the need or desire to carry a tripod around the gimbal head isn't an added deterrent by my standards. And wow, what better way to support your system than perfect balance on all three axis. Camera and lens weight become a total non-issue for both the legs and the user operation.

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Bifurcator

For ball heads I like the kind with the screw (stud) on top so I can use whatever kind of release plates fit my current hankering or use it for flashes or other standard threaded mount items directly.

There's so many awesome ball-heads to choose from! Lots of on-line reviews too. Visiting the local camera shop is one good way to pick IMO - unless you're going to go with a bargain brand. For years I've maintained both pro-grade and bargain-brand legs and heads and there's little to no difference. There a big emotional difference but if it's well designed and reasonably constructed it operates the same: pro or bargain. Especially for ball heads which are fairly simple devices.

I recently (about 6 months ago?) started using a gimbal head for everything. After using this I doubt I'll ever have the desire to use a ball or 3-way head again. I'm using the $69 Beike model:

For which there's quite a discussion thread to be found here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1105558/0 These might be a little heavy to carry around for some people but I personally don't notice any difference. If I have the need or desire to carry a tripod around the gimbal head isn't an added deterrent by my standards. And wow, what better way to support your system than perfect balance on all three axis. Camera and lens weight become a total non-issue for both the legs and the user operation.

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Bifurcator

There's so many awesome ball-heads to choose from! Lots of on-line reviews too. Visiting the local camera shop is one good way to pick IMO - unless you're going to go with a bargain brand.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Bifurcator

For ball heads I like the kind with the screw (stud) on top so I can use whatever kind of release plates fit my current hankering or use it for flashes or other standard threaded mount items directly. There's so many awesome ball-heads to choose from! Lots of on-line reviews too. Visiting the local camera shop is one good way to pick IMO - unless you're going to go with a bargain brand.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:49 PM

Previous versions of Bifurcator's message #11232545 « Advice on what kind of tripod head to get »