Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of blueimage's message #11229562 « Lemur family Christmas (7+1) »

blueimage
Upload & Sell: Off
Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Seasons Greetings from Madagascar; I received a wonderful gift from nature this holiday by photographing wild Lemurs. In short, these unique and crazy cute critters are a joy to be around. They are prosimians, which means \'before primates\' (monkeys) and after spending time with them, and seeing them get around in the trees, my layman translation is: Lemurs Rule and Monkeys Drool.

I spent time with just 4 of the 90 or so species - my favorite and targeted Lemur was the Verreaux\'s Sifaka. I also shot Ring-tailed, Brown, and Bamboo Lemurs. The Sifaka is special…not only are they adorable, but they have amazing skills in the trees…able to gracefully leap up to 30 feet from tree to tree…and walk (bound) upright on land with their arms extended overhead for balance. They will put a smile on your face…guaranteed. The alien-like visuals of them flying through the air, gracefully threading the thick forest - tree to tree, eventually sticking like velcro to a trunk mere feet away….then checking you out with a game of peek-a-boo…. what an indelible memory!

I was unable to get into the forest as early as I wanted, and the light was getting difficult by 8am - but I did my best by shooting wide open to diffuse the glare off the back-ground leaves, climbed a few trees for a better angle, and by using off-camera flash much of the time….way off….as I had my local guide direct the RT flash from a wide distance.

Techs: all images shot with a 1DX, W/ 500 f4, and 70-200 f2.8 II @ f4 and 2.8 respectively, iso 400, manual exposure - spot metering and slow shutter sync. Obviously, they are still in need of pp work to address the blown highlights, which I\'ll do when I return home…but thought I\'d share some now.

Images 1-4:

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:55 AM

Previous versions of blueimage's message #11229562 « Lemur family Christmas (7+1) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.