Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #11213672 « SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

Lars Johnsson wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
rcm123 wrote:
I am going to be buying compact flash cards for a Canon EOS 1DX and a 5D III. It appears that the top of the line Lexar cards are less expensive than the comparable SanDisk cards. I was interested in the experiences of forum members regarding the two brands - is SanDisk worth the extra money? Are they more durable? Also, am I correct in assuming that the 90MB/S read/write speed of the SanDisk cards is sufficient to get the best out of the 1DX 11 fps burst capability? Thanks for any advice you may have.

As long as the cards have the same specs, or at least specs fully sufficient for your use - check the product specifications for details - brand does not matter.

\"Cards is cards.\"

Dan

He asked about speed and fps burst capability from the cards. Every card is different then. Most times even the same cards/brand in different sizes have a bit different speed. And they have different speed in different bodies. \"Cards is Cards. That\'s like saying Cameras is Cameras and Lenses is Lenses You are a landscape shooter where speed doesn\'t matter at all. But he specifically asked about speed and fps bursts. If you buy 5 different brands of cards that all say 600x or 90mbs. All those cards will have very different speed in your camera

As long as the card meets or exceeds the specs for your camera, brand differences are basically irrelevant. Memory has pretty much become a commodity item at this point.

There is quite a bit of mythology about memory brands. This thread itself provides a fair amount of evidence in that regard. And a \"bit different in speed\" when talking about similar and properly- or over-spec\'ed cards is hardly significant enough to justify spending any significantly larger amount of money. In particular, there is no evidence that any recognized brand is \"more reliable\" than other decent brands. About all we have in this regard are subjective feelings from individual users or personal stories about individuals who had a problem with some card and then came to blame it on the brand.

In fact, what most of us who use a lot of cards actually do is more like: buy a decent card that has the specs your camera requires, and buy any brand from a reliable vendor at relatively low price. I haven\'t purchased a SanDisk or Lexar or other \"name brand\" card in years.

To some extent your provocative statement about cameras is closer to the truth than you might think, though there certainly can be differences among models within brands, just as there can be significant difference among cards from a manufacturer when they have various levels of specifications.

(By the way, your comment that I am \"landscape shooter where speed doesn\'t matter at all\" was probably intended to suggest that you know my work - and I appreciate that you may be familiar with some of it - but it also confirms that you know only some of my work.)

Dan

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:31 PM
gdanmitchell

Lars Johnsson wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
rcm123 wrote:
I am going to be buying compact flash cards for a Canon EOS 1DX and a 5D III. It appears that the top of the line Lexar cards are less expensive than the comparable SanDisk cards. I was interested in the experiences of forum members regarding the two brands - is SanDisk worth the extra money? Are they more durable? Also, am I correct in assuming that the 90MB/S read/write speed of the SanDisk cards is sufficient to get the best out of the 1DX 11 fps burst capability? Thanks for any advice you may have.

As long as the cards have the same specs, or at least specs fully sufficient for your use - check the product specifications for details - brand does not matter.

\"Cards is cards.\"

Dan

He asked about speed and fps burst capability from the cards. Every card is different then. Most times even the same cards/brand in different sizes have a bit different speed. And they have different speed in different bodies. \"Cards is Cards. That\'s like saying Cameras is Cameras and Lenses is Lenses You are a landscape shooter where speed doesn\'t matter at all. But he specifically asked about speed and fps bursts. If you buy 5 different brands of cards that all say 600x or 90mbs. All those cards will have very different speed in your camera

As long as the card meets or exceeds the specs for your camera, brand differences are basically irrelevant. Memory has pretty much become a commodity item at this point.

There is quite a bit of mythology about memory brands. This thread itself provides a fair amount of evidence in that regard. And a \"bit different in speed\" when talking about similar and properly- or over-spec\'ed cards is hardly significant enough to justify spending any significantly larger amount of money. In particular, there is no evidence that any recognized brand is \"more reliable\" than other decent brands. About all we have in this regard are subjective feelings from individual users or personal stories about individuals who had a problem with some card and then came to blame it on the brand.

To some extent your provocative statement about cameras is closer to the truth than you might think, though there certainly can be differences among models within brands, just as there can be significant difference among cards from a manufacturer when they have various levels of specifications.

(By the way, your comment that I am \"landscape shooter where speed doesn\'t matter at all\" was probably intended to suggest that you know my work - and I appreciate that you may be familiar with some of it - but it also confirms that you know only some of my work.)

Dan

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:29 PM
gdanmitchell

Lars Johnsson wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
rcm123 wrote:

\"Cards is cards.\"

Dan

There is quite a bit of mythology about memory brands. This thread itself provides a fair amount of evidence in that regard. And a \"bit different in speed\" when talking about similar and properly- or over-spec\'ed cards is hardly significant enough to justify spending any significantly larger amount of money.

Dan

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:27 PM
gdanmitchell

Lars Johnsson wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
rcm123 wrote:

\"Cards is cards.\"

Dan

There is quite a bit of mythology about memory brands. This thread itself provides a fair amount of evidence in that regard. And a \"bit different in speed\" when talking about similar and properly- or over-spec\'ed cards is hardly significant enough to justify spending any significantly larger amount of money.

To some extent your provocative statement about cameras is closer to the truth than you might think, though there certainly can be differences among models within brands, just as there can be significant difference among cards from a manufacturer when they have various levels of specifications. (By the way, your comment that I am \"landscape shooter where speed doesn\'t matter at all\" was probably intended to suggest that you know my work, but it only confirms that you know some of My work.)

Dan

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:26 PM
gdanmitchell

Lars Johnsson wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
rcm123 wrote:

\"Cards is cards.\"

Dan

There is quite a bit of mythology about memory brands. This thread itself provides a fair amount of evidence in that regard.

To some extent your provocative statement about cameras is closer to the truth than you might think, though there are certainly differences among models. By the way, your comment that I am \"landscape shooter where speed doesn\'t matter at all\" was probably intended to suggest that you know my work, but it only confirms that you know some if My work.

Dan

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:21 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #11213672 « SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.