Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of jvphotos's message #11204550 « nm »

jvphotos
Upload & Sell: Off
My photography skills need tons of help, feel free to critique

nm

May 06, 2013 at 05:49 PM
jvphotos

Let me start by saying that I realize that most of my pictures are pretty terrible and I have no idea what I'm doing. I got my first DSLR last fall and have slowly been trying to get accustomed to it. Well, now I'm trying to get a little more serious about it but I'm still at the point of learning where "you don't know what you don't know" for the most part. There are a few things I KNOW I'm doing wrong.
1. Not shooting in Raw
2. Not doing any kind of processing in lightroom or PS or anything like that.
3. I'm not dealing with what you would consider to be "professional" type equipment.
4. In addition to these, I have a general awareness that I don't seem to know much of anything about composition (or lighting, for that matter).

The first two I'm working to change immediately by shooting in raw and getting started trying to teach myself basic editing techniques. The third is more an issue of money than anything. I'm a grad student on a pretty meager camera budget. I am currently using a rebel T1i that I got used after trading up from a used Rebel XS that I got from a friend. I have two lenses, the 18-55 kit lens and the cheap nifty 50mm which I got used as well. I just ordered a 28-135 IS USM 3.5-5.6 and a 430 EX II flash from KEH, but that's about tapped me out at this point. I'm going to have to try to improve my skills for a while, and plan on improving my equipment as the budget allows.

As for the fourth problem, and all of the other stuff I'm doing wrong, I'm mostly at a loss. So if you're bored, and feel like being helpful, please feel free browse below and give any kind of helpful comments on any of the pictures where something awful jumps out at you (it shouldn't take long). I don't necessarily need a in-depth writeup or anything, just any kind of comments or suggestions that will help point me in the right direction for future pictures would be really helpful. I'm going to do my part and spend a lot of time lurking through the forums to pick up what I can where I can and keep reading on the subject.

Here are just a few, there are a ton more on my flickr photostream (linked below):

Roots in El Yunque by spotchicus, on Flickr

Forest Spring in El Yunque by spotchicus, on Flickr

Dad's Farm at Dusk by spotchicus, on Flickr

Riding High by spotchicus, on Flickr

No Time For Quarreling by spotchicus, on Flickr

Evening Tree by spotchicus, on Flickr

The rest:
http://flic.kr/ps/249ysQ
(it was messing up the longer URL after I submitted: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69197635@N06/ )

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM
jvphotos

Let me start by saying that I realize that most of my pictures are pretty terrible and I have no idea what I'm doing. I got my first DSLR last fall and have slowly been trying to get accustomed to it. Well, now I'm trying to get a little more serious about it but I'm still at the point of learning where "you don't know what you don't know" for the most part. There are a few things I KNOW I'm doing wrong.
1. Not shooting in Raw
2. Not doing any kind of processing in lightroom or PS or anything like that.
3. I'm not dealing with what you would consider to be "professional" type equipment.
4. In addition to these, I have a general awareness that I don't seem to know much of anything about composition (or lighting, for that matter).

The first two I'm working to change immediately by shooting in raw and getting started trying to teach myself basic editing techniques. The third is more an issue of money than anything. I'm a grad student on a pretty meager camera budget. I am currently using a rebel T1i that I got used after trading up from a used Rebel XS that I got from a friend. I have two lenses, the 18-55 kit lens and the cheap nifty 50mm which I got used as well. I just ordered a 28-135 IS USM 3.5-5.6 and a 430 EX II flash from KEH, but that's about tapped me out at this point. I'm going to have to try to improve my skills for a while, and plan on improving my equipment as the budget allows.

As for the fourth problem, and all of the other stuff I'm doing wrong, I'm mostly at a loss. So if you're bored, and feel like being helpful, please feel free browse below and give any kind of helpful comments on any of the pictures where something awful jumps out at you (it shouldn't take long). I don't necessarily need a in-depth writeup or anything, just any kind of comments or suggestions that will help point me in the right direction for future pictures would be really helpful. I'm going to do my part and spend a lot of time lurking through the forums to pick up what I can where I can and keep reading on the subject.

Here are just a few, there are a ton more on my flickr photostream (linked below):

El Yunque Flowering Tree by spotchicus, on Flickr

Roots in El Yunque by spotchicus, on Flickr

Forest Spring in El Yunque by spotchicus, on Flickr

Dad's Farm at Dusk by spotchicus, on Flickr

Kingston on the Sidewalk by spotchicus, on Flickr

Riding High by spotchicus, on Flickr

No Time For Quarreling by spotchicus, on Flickr

Peach Swarm by spotchicus, on Flickr

Evening Tree by spotchicus, on Flickr

Columbus at Night, Maximum Zoom by spotchicus, on Flickr

The rest:
http://flic.kr/ps/249ysQ
(it was messing up the longer URL after I submitted: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69197635@N06/ )

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Previous versions of jvphotos's message #11204550 « nm »