Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Bifurcator's message #11192768 « Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm) »

Bifurcator
Upload & Sell: Off
Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

cogitech wrote:
Just having some fun. But seriously, I do think it comes into play in a significant way.

Just like one can\'t take my FD photos with the Zeiss, one can\'t take them with 4/3rds (and either of these lenses), either.

Bifurcator wrote:
Thus why I specified a preference for critiquing them on the basis of their use on a crop camera for those with that experience. I think crop can\'t compare exactly to FF either but any two lenses will render with about the same amount of difference on µ4/3 or APS-C as they show between them on a FF.

cogitech wrote:
I am not an expert on the smaller formats. In fact I am not an expert on any format.

However, I have shot enough FF vs. 1.6x to know that the \"character\" of a lens is on fully realized on FF. There are hints of it on crop, and things like sharpness and contrast are relatively comparable/scalable. Character, however, is only fully revealed only on FF.

\"Character\" is much more important than many of the other individual, empirical, measurable qualities of a lens. (IMO)

I get you. I don\'t think I agree that it\'s a less/more relation tho. Then again, I hadn\'t really thought about it all that much. \"Character\", as I think Ed was pointing out at leas indirectly, when he said \"if you own one long enough, you will learn how to use it to the best effect [of it\'s character]\", needs a bit of practice to optimize. It\'s different, yes, but more/less? Mmm <scratches head> that doesn\'t sound right anyway. <shrug>

Sebboh,
Same here. I actually didn\'t know he was using it as a \"bad\" example at first. When I looked at I went: Oooo, sweet!

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Bifurcator
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm)

cogitech wrote:
Just having some fun. But seriously, I do think it comes into play in a significant way.

Just like one can\'t take my FD photos with the Zeiss, one can\'t take them with 4/3rds (and either of these lenses), either.

Bifurcator wrote:
Thus why I specified a preference for critiquing them on the basis of their use on a crop camera for those with that experience. I think crop can\'t compare exactly to FF either but any two lenses will render with about the same amount of difference on µ4/3 or APS-C as they show between them on a FF.

cogitech wrote:
I am not an expert on the smaller formats. In fact I am not an expert on any format.

However, I have shot enough FF vs. 1.6x to know that the \"character\" of a lens is on fully realized on FF. There are hints of it on crop, and things like sharpness and contrast are relatively comparable/scalable. Character, however, is only fully revealed only on FF.

\"Character\" is much more important than many of the other individual, empirical, measurable qualities of a lens. (IMO)

I get you. I don\'t think I agree that it\'s a less/more relation tho. Then again, I hadn\'t really thought about it all that much. \"Character\", as I think Ed was pointing out at leas indirectly, when he said \"if you own one long enough, you will learn how to use it to the best effect [of it\'s character]\", needs a bit of practice to optimize. It\'s different, yes, but more/less? Mmm <scratches head> that doesn\'t sound right anyway. <shrug>

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Previous versions of Bifurcator's message #11192768 « Taste-Test (C/Y vs FD @ 85mm) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.