Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of artd's message #11183209 « Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S »

artd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

mpmendenhall wrote:
artd wrote:
This also made me think of another curiosity. Similar to Daido, Ansel Adam established his reputation doing B&W work. But he also did color work, which wasn't nearly as popular.

Ansel Adam's color work was less popular with... Ansel Adams

The reasons are perhaps more explicable in this case, at least following AA's own commentary. Color film technology at the time didn't offer the fine level of technical control / darkroom manipulation that AA was able to use to match his B&W works to his visualization of the scene. AA's color photos are well composed, attractive subjects in interesting lighting, but they are basically stuck with "Kodachrome colors." As much as the classic Kodachrome look is attractive on its own (and put to excellent use by many photographers), it couldn't match what AA wanted for a photo given unlimited control over color reproduction.

Yes, this is true, but he did produce some color work despite the inherent issues. It's still not very widely known, and I've seen opinions here and there along the lines of "it's ok but striking like his B&W work." I thought it was an interesting parallel.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:21 PM

Previous versions of artd's message #11183209 « Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S »