Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of carstenw's message #11183129 « Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S »

carstenw
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

artd wrote:
That's a good point. And I think it happens not infrequently to established artists, especially as they grow older. Maybe it's because they feel they have extra leeway to make less accessible work. Maybe they think they've earned enough clout to get people to hunt more for comprehension of what they're trying to do. Whatever the reason it does leave a large audience out in the cold. But then again, it also spurs debates and discussions and some interesting things can emerge in those.

I wonder if it isn't just a loss of drive? One hears of young artists with fire in their bellies, but once success sets in, a lot of that fire is extinguished. Some people drop out completely at that point. How many bands worked and worked until they got a hit album, and then disappeared, never to be heard from again? Others just continue churning out mediocre swill forever. Example: Rolling Stones. I don't think I like a single song since Hot Rocks.

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:54 PM
carstenw

artd wrote:
That's a good point. And I think it happens not infrequently to established artists, especially as they grow older. Maybe it's because they feel they have extra leeway to make less accessible work. Maybe they think they've earned enough clout to get people to hunt more for comprehension of what they're trying to do. Whatever the reason it does leave a large audience out in the cold. But then again, it also spurs debates and discussions and some interesting things can emerge in those.

I wonder if it isn't just a loss of drive? One hears of young artists with fire in their bellies, but once success sets in, a lot of that fire is extinguished. Some people drop out completely at that point. How many bands worked and worked until they got a hit album, and then disappeared, never to be heard from again?

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:54 PM
carstenw

artd wrote:

I wonder if it isn't just a loss of drive? One hears of young artists with fire in their bellies, but once success sets in, a lot of that fire is extinguished. Some people drop out completely at that point. How many bands worked and worked until they got a hit album, and then disappeared, never to heard from again?

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:52 PM

Previous versions of carstenw's message #11183129 « Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S »