Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Lee Saxon's message #11158802 « What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase? »

Lee Saxon
Upload & Sell: On
Re: What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

If anyone isn't aware, the dual mount is necessary because its very long focal length greatly magnifies vibrations which its extremely light weight does little to dampen. This, combined with slowness (f/11 fixed aperture) mean they are NOT easy to shoot with.

However, with a proper rig and patience, it can be quite impressive. No competition for a 5-figure supertelephoto like 800 f/5.6's or 600 f/4's, but it cost ~$1000 and is lighter than a 70-200 f/2.8, so...

I'll list the gear on the dual mount in case anyone is curious (and because it's interesting that it cost more than the lens, although I didn't buy it solely for this lens but rather during my experiments with video rigs).

The D700 is on a Really Right Stuff B2 LS II clamp screwed onto a Redrock Micro RRS-to-15mm-rods adapter (microRRS, I believe it's called). The lens is supported by a Zacuto Q Mount 15mm. The tripod head is a Really Right Stuff BH55, with a Really Right Stuff B2 AS II clamp, holding a Really Right Stuff B35 plate, screwed into a Cinevate cheese plate & 15mm rod clamp. The rods are Redrock Micro 6" Carbon Fiber.

May's "super moon." This is about a 40% crop (800x800 pixels that were originally 2048x2048). Poor atmospheric conditions prevented the lens from doing its best here.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:06 AM

Previous versions of Lee Saxon's message #11158802 « What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase? »