Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of MarcG19's message #11130957 « Camera producers death spiral »

MarcG19
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Camera producers death spiral

I can't vouch for Thom's data since I don't have access to it, but he claims to have talked to all kinds of executives/insiders and to have strong tech and camera industry experience. I can only judge his logic and the data he presented, which looks good to me.

It is clear that there's overcapacity in the camera market - though I suppose one could say Thom exaggerates by judging black friday sales, but I'd like to see contradictory data - and I do fear that smaller companies with high volume pretentions (Panny and Olympus) might be buried in a race to the bottom.

And there's no way consumer cameras (P&S, low end DSLRs) make anything close to a good profit margin, especially if bought at discount. (that being said, I'd imagine the tops of the line have good profit margins).

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:39 PM
MarcG19

I can't vouch for Thom's data since I don't have access to it, but he claims to have talked to all kinds of executives/insiders and to have strong tech and camera industry experience. I can only judge his logic and the data he presented, which looks good to me.

It is clear that there's overcapacity in the camera market - though I suppose one could say Thom exaggerates by judging black friday sales, but I'd like to see contradictory data - and I do fear that smaller companies with high volume potential (Panny and Olympus) might be buried in a race to the bottom.

And there's no way consumer cameras (P&S, low end DSLRs) make anything close to a good profit margin, especially if bought at discount. (that being said, I'd imagine the tops of the line have good profit margins).

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:38 PM
MarcG19

I can't vouch for Thom's data since I don't have access to it, but he claims to have talked to all kinds of executives and to have strong tech and camera industry experience. I can only judge his logic and the data he presented, which looks good to me.

It is clear that there's overcapacity in the camera market - though I suppose one could say Thom exaggerates by judging black friday sales, but I'd like to see contradictory data - and I do fear that smaller companies with high volume potential (Panny and Olympus) might be buried in a race to the bottom.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Previous versions of MarcG19's message #11130957 « Camera producers death spiral »