Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Gunzorro's message #11092099 « How bad is Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZE Planar? »

Gunzorro
Upload & Sell: On
Re: How bad is Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZE Planar?

Jim Schemel wrote:
Gunzorro wrote:
Mine had terrible, unusable focus shift. (I'm in the minority here, and the lens may have been faulty.)

I have outstanding results with my Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 (plus several Canon EF), so not bothering to pursue the ZE 50/1.4 again.

The focus shift is real.But i learned to use the stop down button on the canon cameras with great success.Of course if you are shooting wide open then focus shift is impossible.

I think to be more accurate, mine was a combination of focus shift and focusing error. IIRC, I was using a non-MA bodies (5D, 60D, and 1Ds2) and was not able to adjust the focusing. A sort of double whammy. But I found the focus shift a problem since I wasn't shooting in stop-down AE mode, and here the auto aperture feature worked against me.

Regardless of the which induced the most error, I was not a happy camper when (at that time) my most expensive 50mm lens failed me.

As I say, I'm in a small minority here. I'm glad most are happy with their lenses.

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Previous versions of Gunzorro's message #11092099 « How bad is Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZE Planar? »