Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Chaosmonger's message #11064043 « Internal thought process - I think I'm doing it wrong! »

Chaosmonger
Upload & Sell: Off
Internal thought process - I think I'm doing it wrong!

As a noob to digital photography I can almost gaurantee i'm doing it wrong

I am teaching myself to run my D90 on "Manual" instaed of relying on the green button. I got some woderful C&C from members in another thread and it got me thinking about how I "size up" a shot and what I think should be the priorities. Link to C&C thread

First - I have been deciding what depth of field (aperature) I want and setting the shutter speed to get the right exposure.

Second - I've been poping up my built in flash (I know I need a better flash) to add fill light or to keep the image in focus from too slow a shutter while chasing my kids around. I have been sort of "afraid" to set the ISO above 200 because someone in a tutorial said I would lose image quality.

Third - Make adjustments to tweak the results.

I'm at a point where I usually get pretty close to what I want however I know I can do better.

Some of the tips I got from the C&C our woderful members gave made me realize I should probably understand the lighting available first and set the camera to take advantage of it.

Please share if you would some of your thought process on how you approach capturing an image. I do understand keeping one's tricks of the trade to themselves is important. I am looking for more broad approach ideas over specific scenarios.

Thanks in advance to all on this board!

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Previous versions of Chaosmonger's message #11064043 « Internal thought process - I think I'm doing it wrong! »