Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of justruss's message #11033111 « Lens kit for BC Ski trip? »

justruss
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Lens kit for BC Ski trip?

Is adding gear an option?

If so, here are my two choices (I ski in the Austrian Alps mostly):

1. 5D + 70-200 f/4 IS + 17-40 F4L (or comparable lens).

The 5D is plenty for these relatively easy to photograph situations (high contrast skier over white/blue). The two lenses are plenty fast-- you\'ll be stopped down and still get plenty of SS. You want to minimize gear, and a zoom that covers a nice range is perfect. Hell, if you\'re not doing video, or you don\'t need a few very specific shots... drop the tele, and just got 5D + 17-40L. That gives you subject + context.

2. Invest in a small mirrorless body, either m43 or NEX (unless you have time and $$ for Fuji XE-1 w/ kit lens), and a nice range, small zoom lens.

(3. If photography wasn\'t your primary goal, I\'d say grab a Sony RX100 and forget about the rest; skiing, specially in the BC, is WAY more fulfilling than shooting... to some of us.)

Weight is a major issue if you\'re earning your turns. I mean, go over to TGR and see comparisons of individual ski weights, binding weights, etc.

Re the fingers: Use big, goretex mittens and get some kind of light glove underneath that allows you to use a camera (I use either light gloves, or a second pair of mittens underneath that let you open a hood to get your fingers out.)

Last, and most importantly: What is your bag situation?

If you\'re really going into the BC, you\'re probably carrying Avy gear-- shovel, transceiver, probe, at minimum-- that needs to be accessible. If you\'re skiing in anything above 25 degrees (edit: in incline, not temperature), you really should have this stuff (I would assume the tour leader or your companions would require it). The shovel takes up plenty of space. Cameras do too. And are a pain to access, particularly with larger cameras or multiple lenses. How you bag all this stuff, make it accessible, and how much weight it is should be a primary concern.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Previous versions of justruss's message #11033111 « Lens kit for BC Ski trip? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.