Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of ruhikant's message #11005286 « Your choice of body for wildlife? »

ruhikant
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Your choice of body for wildlife?

Recently, there had been 4/5 treads already on this topic in this forum.
If your maximum focal L is 400mm ( not the 400/2.8IS), 7D suits you very well. Since you already have Ef500/4ISL, any camera will serve you well but it depends on your style of shooting.
I have been photographing birds using Ef500/4ISL paired with 1D4 for a while, it is 80K clicks now. Recently, I have added 5D3 and it is about 15K clicks at the moment.. I always take 5D3 when I want to walk a long distance or with no tripod/monopod. I prefer handheld shooting, so a little bit weight saving with 5D3 matters a lot when I am standing for 3hrs at a time and the new AF system can be configured in many ways to suit the situation. Above all, the reaction time is much faster with this combo when something comes up while talking to friends. If 700mm with 22MP camera is too short, it will be still too short with 1D4 (yes, 1D4 can AF with 2XTC, but 5D3's LV AF is also quite good for stationary birds, alternatively, 1.4TC+1.4Tc combo gives reasonably good AF with EF500/4IS) but when you are able to get close to the bird, you can fill 22MP with 5D3.

One example with 5D3 at 700mm, handheld.
About 35% crop.

and 100% crop of the above:

Yeah, 6FPS is quite good too, here is an Osprey Diving sequence I posted in N&W forum.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1149747/0#10971102

If I have to keep only one camera, it would be 5D3 since 5D3 is very good landscape and wedding camera as well.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:18 PM
ruhikant

If your maximum focal L is 400mm ( not the 400/2.8IS), 7D suits you very well. Since you already have Ef500/4ISL, any camera will serve you well but it depends on your style of shooting.
I have been photographing birds using Ef500/4ISL paired with 1D4 for a while, it is 80K clicks now. Recently, I have added 5D3 and it is about 15K clicks at the moment.. I always take 5D3 when I want to walk a long distance or with no tripod/monopod. I prefer handheld shooting, so a little bit weight saving with 5D3 matters a lot when I am standing for 3hrs at a time and the new AF system can be configured in many ways to suit the situation. Above all, the reaction time is much faster with this combo when something comes up while talking to friends. If 700mm with 22MP camera is too short, it will be still too short with 1D4 (yes, 1D4 can AF with 2XTC, but 5D3's LV AF is also quite good for stationary birds, alternatively, 1.4TC+1.4Tc combo gives reasonably good AF with EF500/4IS) but when you are able to get close to the bird, you can fill 22MP with 5D3.

One example with 5D3 at 700mm, handheld.

Yeah, 6FPS is quite good too, here is an Osprey Diving sequence I posted in N&W forum.

If I have to keep only one camera, it would be 5D3 since 5D3 is very good landscape and wedding camera as well.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:05 PM
ruhikant

I have been photographing birds using Ef500/4ISL paired with 1D4 for a while, it is 80K clicks now. Recently, I have added 5D3 and it is about 15K clicks at the moment.. I always take 5D3 when I wanted to walk a long distance or with no tripod/monopod. I prefer handheld shooting, so a little bit weight saving with 5D3 matters a lot when I am standing for 3hrs at a time and the new AF system can be configured in many ways to suit the situation. Above all, the reaction time is much faster with this combo when something comes up while talking to friends. If 700mm with 22MP camera is too short, it will be still too short with 1D4 (yes, 1D4 can AF with 2XTC, but 5D3's LV AF is also quite good for stationary birds, alternatively, 1.4TC+1.4Tc combo gives reasonably good AF with EF500/4IS) but when you are able to get close to the bird, you can fill 22MP with 5D3.

One example with 53 at 700mm, handheld.

Sep 30, 2012 at 06:05 PM

Previous versions of ruhikant's message #11005286 « Your choice of body for wildlife? »