Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of PetKal's message #10990367 « 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness »

PetKal
Upload & Sell: On
1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

A few of us have had 1DX for a month or longer, and each of us has probably accumulated 10,000 frames on it or more. Therefore, we should have a fairly clear idea by now about key strengths and weaknesses of this new body.

I shall start by listing the best and the worst feature in my practical experience, please continue in the same manner.

(1) The key strength: High ISO noise handling. For me, coming from 1DsMkII, 1DMkIIN and 7D, this has been a major benefit of the camera. I have finally been freed of ISO noise based pressure to shoot often with marginal shutter speed and or DoF. In addition, I hardly use "Neat image" any longer on 1DX files up to and including ISO 1600.

(2) The key wakness: AF point display visibility in conjunction with AF pt. movement via joystick has been a major frustration and the cause of many misfocussed shots. This deficiency really plays up when I've had a larger target in VF which quickly moves laterally, such as a swimming/circling duck, or an acrobat, or a dancer performing, all from a relative proximity where it is not feasible to use the center AF point only because of framing limitations.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Previous versions of PetKal's message #10990367 « 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness »