Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Rickuz's message #10986670 « 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ? »

Rickuz
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

EOS20 wrote:
Mike Owen, Professional Image Marketing Manager for Canon Europe Ltd.

We very much feel that that resolution, 20 to 22 megapixels on a full frame sensor is the real sweet spot. It's the maximum that we can get to without starting to see a conflict between noise performance and resolution. And obviously, what we want to try to do is give you the best possible balance. And over the last few years, what you've seen is that other manufacturers have been sort of creeping up with their resolution. But we've reached a sort of sweet spot since 5 years ago when we launched the 1DS Mark III. And we think that, at the moment, that is the better place to be in terms of performance, allowing people to have the high ISO capabilities--high as you're able to get with the current Canon range as well as the high resolution and image quality.

I hope this Mike Owen has no idea what he is talking about, because that's a "you've-got-to-be kidding me statement" that simply doesn't square with current industry reality. The 36 MP D800 displays less noise than the 22 MP 5D III, yet he thinks that they've discovered the sweet spot ratio of low noise-to-high megapixels. Really what he's admitting is that Canon sensor development has totally stagnated, and the sensor development team doesn't have the least clue as to how Sony can make a low-noise 36 MP sensor.

I.M.O he is just trying to cover up their failure by saying that 20 - 22 MP is some kind of "magical sweet spot".

Disturbing.

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:23 PM

Previous versions of Rickuz's message #10986670 « 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ? »