Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of rabbitmountain's message #10943477 « 50 f/1.2 vs 50 f/1.4 - How much extra light? »

rabbitmountain
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 50 f/1.2 vs 50 f/1.4 - How much extra light?

Now about the reasons I want the 50L:
When it comes to portraits and wedding photography, first thing that come to my mind are some gear independent things that attribute to an image that the client will like : get a good composition, the right angle, the right expression (timing). If you get all of that right, the gear becomes basically irrelevant, as long as it's not limiting you.

By limiting I mean in a dark church with no flash allowed (or the desire to keep from flash for IQ reasons) a 24-105 won't get me any shot, but either a 50/1.4 or 50/1.2 will get me the shot I want, and from the client's perpective they're probably equally good or bad.

So apart from the weather sealing, durability, AF speed, etc., purely in terms of IQ, is the 50/1.2 really that much better @f/1.2 than the 50/1.4 @f/1.4? I think a photographer will notice the difference, but will a client notice it too?

I think a lot of clients really will notice. For me, the 50L has this dreamy look when shot wide open. A dreamy look that goes perfectly with a wedding coverage, where a photographer stands before a task to capture events that chase those dreams. It fits perfectly. The 50L is able to give this dreamy bokeh look even at longer focusing distances like 12 feet. That is where a 50L can attribute to a great composition and timed shot.

I'm even in the process of building my gear around the 50L. My current cameras are unable to AF the 50L with confidence, so I'm looking for another camera that will. It's that good.

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Previous versions of rabbitmountain's message #10943477 « 50 f/1.2 vs 50 f/1.4 - How much extra light? »