Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of mdude85's message #10863014 « Image was appropriated , but credited, what to do? »

mdude85
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Image was appropriated , but credited, what to do?

There is no such thing as "legalized theft" because theft means taking unlawfully. If the taking is lawful -- what we would probably call "sharing" -- then it's not theft. I want the laws to take into account the changing landscape of the craft as much as the next photographer, but they are not written or applied maliciously.

Laypersons are entitled to their opinions about the marginalization of photographers, but this logic equating material theft to copyright infringement neither holds up in a court of law nor is particularly beneficial to photographers trying to protect their work. Instead of bastardizing the meaning of words to fit our preconceptions, or equating harmless copyright infringement to entities (like the gestapo) who committed actual atrocities against humanity, we should become educated about the real issues that affect the craft and behave in a manner that is mutually beneficial to us and the consumers of our work. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:54 AM
mdude85

There is no such thing as "legalized theft" because theft means taking unlawfully. If the taking is lawful -- what we would probably call "sharing" -- then it's not theft. I want the laws to take into account the changing landscape of the craft as much as the next photographer, but they are not written or applied maliciously.

Laypersons are entitled to their opinions about the marginalization of photographers but unfortunately this logic equating material theft to copyright infringement neither holds up in a court of law nor is particularly beneficial to photographers trying to protect their work. Instead of bastardizing the meaning of words to fit our preconceptions, or equating harmless copyright infringement to entities (like the gestapo) who committed actual atrocities against humanity, we should become educated about the real issues that affect the craft and think in ways that are mutually beneficial to us and the consumers of our work. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:48 AM
mdude85

There is no such thing as "legalized theft" because theft means taking unlawfully. If the taking is lawful -- what we would probably call "sharing" -- then it's not theft.

Laypersons are entitled to their opinions about the marginalization of photographers but unfortunately this logic equating material theft to copyright infringement neither holds up in a court of law nor is particularly beneficial to photographers trying to protect their work. Instead of bastardizing the meaning of words to fit our preconceptions, or equating harmless copyright infringement to entities (like the gestapo) who committed actual atrocities against humanity, we should become educated about the real issues that affect the craft and think in ways that are mutually beneficial to us and the consumers of our work. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:35 AM

Previous versions of mdude85's message #10863014 « Image was appropriated , but credited, what to do? »