Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Frogfish's message #10790199 « World's Smallest Raptor - Pied Falconets Part 1 »

Frogfish
Upload & Sell: Off
World's Smallest Raptor - Pied Falconets Part 1

Well almost. I was shooting some Pied Falconet\'s last weekend in Wuyuan, China. Here\'s some excerpts on the birds :-

The average size of the world\'s smallest falcons is about 15 cm (6 in.), and weigh 35 g (1.23 oz.). There are about 10 or so very small falcons, found in different regions and habitats across the world. The smallest are the Black-thighed Falconet (Microhierax fringillarius) found throughout Southeast Asia, and the White-fronted Falconet (Microhierax latifrons) on the island of Borneo.

Other species of the Falconet genus Microhierax include the Collared Falconet (Microhierax caerulescens), the Philippine Falconet, Microhierax erythrogenys) [B][I][U] and the Pied Falconet (Microhierax melanoleucus).[/U][/I][/B]

The Spot-winged Falconet (Spiziapteryx circumcincta) is found in south america.

Another group of small falcons are the Pygmy falcons belonging to the genus Polihierax which includes the african Pygmy-falcon (Polihierax semitorquatus) the White-rumped Falcon or White-rumped Pygmy-falcon (Polihierax insignis).

By comparison the smallest falcon in North America is the American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) which is 20-28cm (8-11 in) in length and weighs over three times as much as of most of these small falconets.

The adult Pied Falconets feed mostly on insects, but also on small birds up to x3 larger than themselves e.g. thrushes, and also small ground mammals and reptiles. Insects and birds are taken in flight.

Adult Pied Falconets (aka Pied Pygmy Falcon, White-legged Falconet) are variously given from different internet sources as averaging 16-18cms (6 -7 ins).

From watching these birds for about 10 hours over 4 days (not one shot until after 7.5 hours) I can say their hunting success rate is around 90% ! Their prey rarely escapes capture. Which during these 4 days comprised of dragonflies, butterflies and another couple saw them also take a small bird.

Seen in some of these shots are a parent and fledgling and the parent twice called the fledgling in to share the prey (a dragonfly and a butterfly).

Hope you enjoy these ! All taken with a Pentax K5, DA*300 and AFA x1.7 TC.

Fledgling

Into Action !

Gargoyle

Bigger than a dragonfly - just

Going Home

What Did You Say ?

Sleep Guru

No, Not Even A Wing !

Fast Landing

Fantail

You\'ll Eat Your Dragonfly and Like It !

Angel of Mercy

One Handed

That\'s My Girl !

Jul 09, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Previous versions of Frogfish's message #10790199 « World's Smallest Raptor - Pied Falconets Part 1 »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.