Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Phillip Reeve's message #10741334 « Nex Processing Thread »

Phillip Reeve
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Nex Processing Thread

I usually import my images into lightroom, apply a preset, select the better ones and, process them and export them to PS for multistep sharpening. So nothing Nex specific there.

Two things which took me some time to figure out:

Color
Adobes default color profile for the Nex-5n sucks. We discussed the topic in the Nex-discussion thread a while ago, Maurizio Piraccini created some profiles which are an improvement but they don't work well all the time.
Now i use a profile created by itemsis, a user of a german forum, his post can be found here, the direct link to his profile is this one.
in my opinion it gives much better skin tones than Maurizios profiles, i use it all the time and rarely use another one.

Dynamic range
Before i bought my Nex is used a Canon 550d and was delighted to see how much more dynamic range the 5n had, especially the shadows can be pushed really far. I think the 5d has a marginally better DR than the 550d, but a nex should be much better.

So when i am in need of a high dynamic range i expose for the lights and push the shadows as far as i need.
unprocessed:

processed:

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:55 AM
Phillip Reeve
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Nex Processing Thread

I usually import my images into lightroom, apply a preset, select the better ones and, process them and export them to PS for multistep sharpening. So nothing Nex specific there.

Two things which took me some time to figure out:

Color
Adobes default color profile for the Nex-5n sucks. We discussed the topic in the Nex-discussion thread a while ago, Maurizio Piraccini created some profiles which are an improvement but they don't work well all the time.
Now i use a profile created by itemsis, a user of a german forum, his post can be found here, the direct link to his profile is this one.
in my opinion it gives much better skin tones than Maurizios profiles, i use it all the time and rarely use another one.

Dynamic range
Before i bought my Nex is used a Canon 550d and was delighted to see how much more dynamic range the 5n had, especially the shadows can be pushed really far.

So when i am in need of a high dynamic range i expose for the lights and push the shadows as far as i need.
unprocessed:

processed:

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:52 AM

Previous versions of Phillip Reeve's message #10741334 « Nex Processing Thread »