Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #10704971 « Looking for thoughts/opinions on this "copyright grab" »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Looking for thoughts/opinions on this "copyright gra...

First ... WELCOME TO FM !!!

FM ROCKS !!!

You could conduct a similar \"event\" and conduct it in the way that you find appropriate. If his way is the \"only game in town\" for some ... they may find his \"price to play\" fair. have you read the fine print on things like \"photo contests\" ... they get to do anything they want with your work and you don\'t get jack squat. Yet, people still play by their rules ... even if they are very \"one sided\".

I\'m not justifying or condoning (ethics, etc.), in part or in whole ... but the \"free enterprise\" system isn\'t one that is guided by \"what\'s fair\" for the other guy. Rather, \"what the market will bear\". If you aren\'t in the market for what he is offering, at the price he is willing to sell it for ... don\'t buy it. If others are willing to pay his price, you aren\'t going to really do much to change it without looking like \"sour grapes\" ... unless you do so by offering a competing product.

I get that \"you can\" get your own MAU, etc ... but for some, they will be smitten by the chance for him to coordinate things for them. This would certainly not be the first such event that attracted models, MAU, Photogs, etc. via coordination. It\'s all fair game ... i.e. what the market will bear, and what you are willing to buy/sell.

Is it \"fair\" by your sense of standards of \"fair play\" ... apparently not. Is it one sidedly tipped in his direction ... probably. Is that good business for him? BTW, how much insurance coverage does he have in promoting the event, etc.

I get that it doesn\'t bode well on paper in many ways for you as a businessman / professional ... but I\'d be weary of screaming \"sleaze\" too loud ... his legal BS that you find so offensive in his contract, might turn its attention to you in the form of libel/slander/defamation.

I would expect that he is doing it to profit ... and maybe even profit very nicely. I had to pay to \"experience\" walking through Antelope Canyon and the promoters of the tours were making money \"hand over fist\", but it was a price I was willing to \"pay to play\". I\'d have preferred to have gotten my own permit for professional photographic use, but the time lines to put together the coordination of such didn\'t fit my agenda, so I paid the asking price for the \"tour/experience\". How much diff in concept.

The tour companies (of all kinds) market to tourists and people who don\'t have time/savvy to make such coordinations and have their own \"fine print\". Short version is it\'s \"his ball & his rules\" ... either play with it as such or get your own ball and set your own rules. Some will, some won\'t ... free enterprise.

If you want to play ... but don\'t like the rules ... I\'d suggest just asking him if he\'d be willing to modify the agreement to XYZ. Sometimes people write agreements the way they do as \"simplistic overkill\", as it is far easier than to be specific to cover the bases in detail ... or they are simply clueless as to what constitutes a well written agreement/contract.

If you present a modification (line out / edit / initial) that he doen\'st have to put any \"effort\" into .. who knows, maybe he says, \"sure, no problem\" if you aren\'t \"asking for the moon\" or blatantly insulting his desire to profit nicely in the process. You\'d likely be the \"only one\" to ask for such a modification, so his risk from \"bending the rules\" for one person ... ...

If you are just \"appalled\" at what he is doing ... let it go ... do something more productive and rewarding / beneficial to you or others whom you care about, but don\'t be surprised if he gets a good response (despite his \"fine print\") because he is providing a product / service that meets the desires/needs of others (GWAC, fantasy experience or otherwise).

Virtually everything is negotiable ... so if you want what he\'s offering, but don\'t like the advertised price ... go negotiate the best you know how. Sly like a fox or on a rampage like a bull in a china shop ... your choice.

HTH

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:03 AM
RustyBug

You could conduct a similar \"event\" and conduct it in the way that you find appropriate. If his way is the \"only game in town\" for some ... they may find his \"price to play\" fair. have you read the fine print on things like \"photo contests\" ... they get to do anything they want with your work and you don\'t get jack squat. Yet, people still play by their rules ... even if they are very \"one sided\".

I\'m not justifying or condoning (ethics, etc.), in part or in whole ... but the \"free enterprise\" system isn\'t one that is guided by \"what\'s fair\" for the other guy. Rather, \"what the market will bear\". If you aren\'t in the market for what he is offering, at the price he is willing to sell it for ... don\'t buy it. If others are willing to pay his price, you aren\'t going to really do much to change it without looking like \"sour grapes\" ... unless you do so by offering a competing product.

I get that \"you can\" get your own MAU, etc ... but for some, they will be smitten by the chance for him to coordinate things for them. This would certainly not be the first such event that attracted models, MAU, Photogs, etc. via coordination. It\'s all fair game ... i.e. what the market will bear, and what you are willing to buy/sell.

Is it \"fair\" by your sense of standards of \"fair play\" ... apparently not. Is it one sidedly tipped in his direction ... probably. Is that good business for him? BTW, how much insurance coverage does he have in promoting the event, etc.

I get that it doesn\'t bode well on paper in many ways for you as a businessman / professional ... but I\'d be weary of screaming \"sleaze\" too loud ... his legal BS that you find so offensive in his contract, might turn its attention to you in the form of libel/slander/defamation.

I would expect that he is doing it to profit ... and maybe even profit very nicely. I had to pay to \"experience\" walking through Antelope Canyon and the promoters of the tours were making money \"hand over fist\", but it was a price I was willing to \"pay to play\". I\'d have preferred to have gotten my own permit for professional photographic use, but the time lines to put together the coordination of such didn\'t fit my agenda, so I paid the asking price for the \"tour/experience\". How much diff in concept.

The tour companies (of all kinds) market to tourists and people who don\'t have time/savvy to make such coordinations and have their own \"fine print\". Short version is it\'s \"his ball & his rules\" ... either play with it as such or get your own ball and set your own rules. Some will, some won\'t ... free enterprise.

If you want to play ... but don\'t like the rules ... I\'d suggest just asking him if he\'d be willing to modify the agreement to XYZ. Sometimes people write agreements the way they do as \"simplistic overkill\", as it is far easier than to be specific to cover the bases in detail ... or they are simply clueless as to what constitutes a well written agreement/contract.

If you present a modification (line out / edit / initial) that he doen\'st have to put any \"effort\" into .. who knows, maybe he says, \"sure, no problem\" if you aren\'t \"asking for the moon\" or blatantly insulting his desire to profit nicely in the process. You\'d likely be the \"only one\" to ask for such a modification, so his risk from \"bending the rules\" for one person ... ...

If you are just \"appalled\" at what he is doing ... let it go ... do something more productive and rewarding / beneficial to you or others whom you care about, but don\'t be surprised if he gets a good response (despite his \"fine print\") because he is providing a product / service that meets the desires/needs of others (GWAC, fantasy experience or otherwise).

Virtually everything is negotiable ... so if you want what he\'s offering, but don\'t like the advertised price ... go negotiate the best you know how. Sly like a fox or on a rampage like a bull in a china shop ... your choice.

HTH

Jun 08, 2012 at 04:01 AM
RustyBug

If you present a modification (line out / edit / initial) that he doen\'st have to put any \"effort\" into .. who knows, maybe he says, \"sure, no problem\" if you aren\'t \"asking for the moon\" or blatantly insulting his desire to profit nicely in the process.

Virtually everything is negotiable ... so if you want what he\'s offering, but don\'t like the advertised price ... go negotiate the best you know how.

HTH

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:55 AM
RustyBug

If you present a modification (line out / edit / initial) that he doen\'st have to put any \"effort\" into .. who knows, maybe he says, \"sure, no problem\" if you aren\'t \"asking for the moon\" or blatantly insulting his desire to profit nicely in the process.

Virtually everything is negotiable ... so if you want what he\'s offering ... go negotiate the best you know how.

HTH

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:55 AM
RustyBug

HTH

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:49 AM
RustyBug

If you are just \"appalled\" at what he is doing ... let it go ... do something more productive and rewarding / beneficial to you or others whom you care about.

HTH

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:46 AM
RustyBug

If you present a modification (line out / edit / initial) that he doen\'st have to put any \"effort\" into .. who knows, maybe he says, \"sure, no problem\" if you aren\'t \"asking for the moon\" or blatantly insulting him in the process.

If you are just \"appalled\" at what he is doing ... let it go ... do something more productive and rewarding / beneficial to you or others whom you care about.

HTH

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:45 AM
RustyBug

If you want to play ... but don\'t like the rules ... I\'d suggest just asking him if he\'d be willing to modify the agreement to XYZ. Sometimes people write agreements the way they do as \"simplistic overkill\", as it is far easier than to be specific to cover the basese in detail. If you present a modification (line out / edit / initial) that he doen\'st have to put any \"effort\" into .. who knows, maybe he says, \"sure, no problem\" if you aren\'t \"asking for the moon\" or blatantly insulting him in the process.

HTH

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:44 AM
RustyBug

Jun 08, 2012 at 03:36 AM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #10704971 « Looking for thoughts/opinions on this "copyright grab" »