Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of BrianO's message #10522843 « 580EX problem, can't find on google »

BrianO
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 580EX problem, can't find on google

form wrote: I have a 580EX that I purchased used (like 2 others I have) and at the time I didn\'t notice it was having an issue. I suspect now (months later) that the seller knew it had problems...

Why do you suspect that?

form wrote: ...Anyway. The problem is it refuses to fire off a charge less than about 1/4 power. In manual mode, at 1/128 power, it fires 1/4 power. At 1/64 power setting, it fires about 1/2 power. At 1/32 power setting, it fires full power. Any setting above that fires full power. It fires at these power levels with the test button or on-camera in manual. In eTTL mode on-camera, it consistently overexposes if the shot requires less than 1/4 power... Ever hear of this problem? Clearly I got ripped off by the seller...

Not clearly at all.

form wrote: ...but if anyone is familiar with it perhaps at least I can have some idea of what happened and possibly how to go about fixing it.

The power level of Canon Speedlites is varied by quenching the flash early, via a device called an Insulated Gate Bi-polar Transistor (IGBT). The IGBT gets its instructions from a logic circuit that gets information from either the camera\'s built-in flash meter or from the Manual Power Level setting.

If any of the circuits develops a fault, it can manifest in precisely the issue you describe. The only way to fix it that I know of is to replace the faulty circuit(s). A trip to Canon may cost less than getting a new flash, but a call to them would confirm that.

Good luck; I hope you can get it fixed without too much trouble.

Apr 08, 2012 at 07:27 PM

Previous versions of BrianO's message #10522843 « 580EX problem, can't find on google »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.