Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of kosmoskatten's message #10381410 « Still no love for the Ricoh GXR? »

kosmoskatten
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

To hopefully put a gracious end to the moiré debate I am posting this sample. It was suggested that I would reshoot the previous scene in more contrasty light, so here it is. It is as contrasty as it gets.

I am only including the 100% crop as the rest of the image is of no interest. Also, the window at my study does not open more than enough for me to barely squeeze the camera through (we have three cats and usually keep the slit open) so it is hard to see what you are doing and keep it level.

Noteworthy is that I shot it at wide open, f4 on the ZM18/4 in order to not soften the image with diffraction and hide moiré. I sharpened it a bit and applied a local contrast enhancement in order to try and lure out the moiré monster:

nohereeither by koruNZ, on Flickr

There is a very slight hint of false color, if you press your nose to the screen, but as far as I am concerned I think that if it is this mild when looking at blinds and a corrugated steel balcony across the street in harsh light - and totally uncorrected, then by all means, I can live with it. Looking at 50%, which I usually do before printing as I find that it will mimic the printing well, it looks damn near perfect.

That Zeiss ZM18/4 is verrry sharp across the entire frame on APS-C wide open. Vignetting is quite mild, on APS-C, and not objectionable.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:29 PM
kosmoskatten

To hopefully put a gracious end to the moiré debate I am posting this sample. It was suggested that I would reshoot the previous scene in more contrasty light, so here it is. It is as contrasty as it gets.

I am only including the 100% crop as the rest of the image is of no interest. Also, the window at my study does not open more than enough for me to barely squeeze the camera through (we have three cats and usually keep the slit open) so it is hard to see what you are doing and keep it level.

Noteworthy is that I shot it at wide open, f4 on the ZM18/4 in order to not soften the image with diffraction and hide moiré. I sharpened it a bit and applied a local contrast enhancement in order to try and lure out the moiré monster:

There is a very slight hint of moiré and false color too, if you press your nose to the screen, but as far as I am concerned I think that if it is this mild when looking at blinds and a corrugated steel balcony across the street in harsh light - and totally uncorrected, then by all means, I can live with it. Looking at 50%, which I usually do before printing as I find that it will mimic the printing well, it looks damn near perfect.

That Zeiss ZM18/4 is verrry sharp across the entire frame on APS-C wide open. Vignetting is quite mild, on APS-C, and not objectionable.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:29 PM
kosmoskatten

Noteworthy is that I shot it at wide open, f4 on the ZM18/4 in order to not soften the image with diffraction and hide moiré.

There is a very slight hint of moiré and false color too, if you press your nose to the screen, but as far as I am concerned I think that if it is this mild when looking at blinds and a corrugated steel balcony across the street in harsh light - and totally uncorrected, then by all means, I can live with it. Looking at 50%, which I usually do before printing as I find that it will mimic the printing well, it looks damn near perfect.

Feb 26, 2012 at 02:13 PM

Previous versions of kosmoskatten's message #10381410 « Still no love for the Ricoh GXR? »