Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #10329217 « Still no love for the Ricoh GXR? »

Mitch Alland
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Henrik,

I pretty much agree with your view of the GXR-M, although I would like to stress two aspects First, the way it is transparent to the lens used, showing the same characteristics of the lens that one is familiar with from film use, excepting of course the aspects of the outer edges eliminated through the 1.5x crop factor — that being the only reason for which I want a full frame camera.

Second, the color accuracy that substantially exceeds that of the M8 and the M9: generally the M8 and M9 files require more post-processing than those of the GXR-M. Sean Reid had said that M9 files have some more richness in the mid-tones, but this is not something that I have noticed. While I have never shot with the a NEX-5N or a NEX-7, the examples of shots that I see on the web seem to me not to have colors that I like as much as those from the GXR-M, but I have no idea whether that stems from the NEX files themselves or from the photographers.

My conclusions are based on "denveloping" DNG with RPP, which, as I written before, I find to the best raw developer.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Wild Beasts of Botwsana

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Mitch Alland
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Henrik,

I pretty much agree with your view of the GXR-M, although I would like to stress two aspects First, the way it is transparent to the lens used, showing the same characteristics of the lens that one is familiar with from film use, excepting of course the aspects of the outer edges eliminated through the 1.5x crop factor — that being the only reason for which I want a full frame camera.

Second, the color accuracy that substantially exceeds that of the M8 and the M9: generally the M8 and M9 files require more post-processing than those of the GXR-M. Sean Reid had said that M9 files have some more richness in the mid-tones, but this is not something that I have noticed. While I have never shot with the a NEX-5N or a NEX-7, the examples of shots that I see on the web seem to me not to have colors that I like as much as those from the GXR-M, but I have no idea whether that stems from the NEX files themselves or from the photographers.

My concussion are based on "denveloping" DNG with RPP, which, as I written before, I find to the best raw developer.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Wild Beasts of Botwsana

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #10329217 « Still no love for the Ricoh GXR? »