Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of michaelwatkins's message #10073744 « Still no love for the Ricoh GXR? »

michaelwatkins
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

kosmoskatten wrote:
I think you made a good choice. I actually picked up a new EVF today, bought from a guy who got it for his NEX5, only it doesn\'t fit the \"old\" NEX5. Got a good price too.

Well, taking advantage of Sony\'s lack of backward compatibility having zinged the unwary in one breath while (correctly) criticizing them for the practice in the next. Well done! Seriously though, point taken.

However, some of the quirks with the Sony menu wheel started to get on my nerves...
I stick by my previous statement that having ONE wheel to do several tricks is not a good idea. When going for exp comp I would accidentally hit the magnification and vice versa, or the menu wheel would lead me to ISO settings.

I worry about this already. The most significant criticism I had of the X100 was that it *almost* went far enough but not quite. With only one customization Fn button you couldn\'t configure the camera to give you direct access to meaningful settings affecting exposure which for me included quick access to the neutral density filter (needed when shooting wide open since the camera couldn\'t operate at full shutter speed until stopped down to f/5.6) and ISO. Auto ISO was buried in menus instead of incorporated as a menu off the ISO list. But at least it had an actual exposure compensation knob. Many times moving in and out of shadow or in and out of doors I\'d be fighting settings and I hate dealing with lots of menus.

I am prepared not to like the Sony for that reason and am definitely pre-disposed to preferring the Ricoh.

This is where the NEX7 would rock, I guess.

EVF and having all shutter, aperture and ISO all right at hand, plus whatever else I wanted with all those definable buttons - that\'s absolutely what drew me to it. I could care less about the 24 mega pixel this or that.

I am quite sure the NEX7 won\'t work well with the wides I use so I will have to join you on musical chairs and stick with the 5N until the next working solution arrives. I skipped the NEX3 and NEX5.

GXR works fine, and will be replaced by an GXR II, if one arrives. Their promise to fill a gap in the consumer market is intriguing as I find that they usually make an effort to release well thought out products.

I hope they are releasing something that I\'d be interested in that can also replace the Sony. I\'m ok with being frustrated with the Sony for awhile, figuring I\'d find it easier to dump locally if not on eBay than the GXR if I wanted to move to the gap-filler.

Ricoh implemented updates for older cameras for quite a while, breathing new life into them (GRDII and III) with enhanced custom functions. [...]

PS:
I could have gotten a GXR M for you from my local dealer. He has a few hidden away.

You had to say that. I already have early buyers remorse and my credit card hasn\'t even been charged yet.

Had there been a local dealer not trying to hose me I\'m sure I\'d already have a GXR unpacked and in action.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Previous versions of michaelwatkins's message #10073744 « Still no love for the Ricoh GXR? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.