FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Polarizer Usage Question

Tim Kuang

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Polarizer Usage Question

Hi everybody,

When using a polarizer, sometimes I noticed that the middle is darker while the two sides are lighter (shown in a picture below). I know that when the axis of the lens is not 90 degrees to the sun, I could get uneven polarizing, with one side darker the other side lighter. But what is the reason for the darkness in the middle?

Thanks a lot.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5042663-lg.jpg

--Tim K.

Apr 30, 2007 at 09:48 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Polarizer Usage Question

It has to do with the angle at which the light hits the lens. There's nothing you can do about it except use telephoto lenses. The wider angle you use the more pronounced the effect.

I think Sing-Ray has a polarizer that minimizes the effect, but it's way expensive.

Great shot there, by the way... I don't even notice the uneven color of the sky.

Phil

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM
manzico
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Polarizer Usage Question

It has to do with the angles as you stated, but it is a little more subtle. You see polarizers have their greatest effect 90 degrees from the sun so if the sun is on the eastern horizon, the area of greatest effect (darkest blue in the sky for example) will be along an arc from the northern horizon continuing overhead to the southern horizon. The further you get from this 90 degree band, the less of an effect your polarizer will have. If you are shooting with a wide angle lens (usually greater than 24-27mm on a 35mm SLR) the field of view is actually wide enough to see the band and the fall off as your field of view includes parts of the sky significantly far away (30 degrees or more) from the 90 degree band. With a narrower field of view (longer focal length), the effect of the polarizer will be more or less flat across the frame and you won't notice the band.

Dave

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Polarizer Usage Question

Great question / Great answer(s) well said!

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM
Tim Kuang

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Polarizer Usage Question

Thank you Phil and Dave. I was using my Canon EF 17-40 f4L lens for the photo(I believe it was at the 17mm end, equivalent to 27.2mm's AOV on my Canon digital rebel xt). Does that mean that if I am using a wide angle lens and am 90 degrees to the sun, it will ALWAYS have more polarizing in the middle because the AOV is too wide? I think I will do some experiments to see starting from what focal length this effect is eliminated.

Thanks again.

--Tim K.

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:17 PM
raceves
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Polarizer Usage Question

Tim Kuang wrote:
Thank you Phil and Dave. I was using my Canon EF 17-40 f4L lens for the photo(I believe it was at the 17mm end, equivalent to 27.2mm's AOV on my Canon digital rebel xt). Does that mean that if I am using a wide angle lens and am 90 degrees to the sun, it will ALWAYS have more polarizing in the middle because the AOV is too wide? I think I will do some experiments to see starting from what focal length this effect is eliminated.

Thanks again.

--Tim K.

Yeah you'll always get that effect at the wide end. It's even more noticeable on my 10-22mm.

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:53 PM
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Polarizer Usage Question

Wide Angle and high elevation, both together it can be really bad. Just spin that sucker until you get it to even out even if the polarization is minimal it's still better than not having it on there. PS, don't try to use it while shooting panos

Al

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:57 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Polarizer Usage Question

As others said, it is natural, depending on the angle of the shot with respect to the sun. See this issue especially with panoramas, as Al said, but I don't let that stop me.

The shadow/highlight tool and other PS gimmicks can greatly reduce this effect; I can show you an example if you like. --c

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:03 PM
Tim Kuang

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Polarizer Usage Question

Hi folks,

After some further thoughts, I found I still have some questions. I noticed that with my Canon ef 17-40 f4L lens, I sometimes get uneven polarization, sometimes I don't. It is this lack of predictability with my wide angle lens that frastruates me from time to time . In my impression, the uneveness in the middle seems to be related to the elevation of the sun: all my photos having uneveness in the middle seem to have the sun in the low horizon and I was 90 degrees to the sun.

Since I really like Dave's polarizing band explanation, I am going to use that. Is it possible that the width of the band is changing depending on some conditions, say the elevation of the sun, or the atmosphere, or even the angle to the sun? When the width of the band is small compared to the AOV, it is easy to see unevenness either in the middle or on the side depending on your angle to the sun. Any ideas?

Thanks,

--Tim K.

ps Charles, I would love to see your images if you have time (probably together with a short description how you corrected them ). I have been using Gradients to correct the problem, but like to know more tricks. Thanks.

pps. Al, unfortunately with the small viewfinder on my Digital Rebel xt, it is not easy to tell the polarizing effects.

May 01, 2007 at 01:38 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Polarizer Usage Question

phil hawkins wrote:
There's nothing you can do about it except use telephoto lenses.Phil

That or "fixing" it in PS with some crafty masking.

Mark

May 01, 2007 at 02:15 PM
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Polarizer Usage Question

Tim Kuang wrote:
Hi folks,

pps. Al, unfortunately with the small viewfinder on my Digital Rebel xt, it is not easy to tell the polarizing effects.

You'll get used to it and be able to see it better as you get experience. In fact as you get better you'll be able to use it to your advantage in many compositions. Banding is not always a bad thing, many a great landscape photographer have used the polarization banding to their advantage. Good Luck!

Al

May 01, 2007 at 04:49 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Polarizer Usage Question

Here's a quickie I did actually using a technique different from my usual (which is shadow/highlight). Here I actually did a color replacement (Image -> Adjustments -> Replace Color). I selected roughly in the middle of the blue gradient, then adjusted the sensitivity, and increased lightness of the darker blues. Then gave it a slight levels adjustment to increase overall contrast.

The sky and water ar every noisy because the original is heavily JPG compressed, so you can obviously do better with the original.

BTW, I normally wouldn't "depolarize" to this extent.. I like the deep blue and a bit of gradient doesn't bother me.. this is just to show you what is possible. --c

http://www.pcguide.com/pers/bowness_depolarized.jpg

May 01, 2007 at 05:39 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Polarizer Usage Question

Yes please, would like to see an example. Please put a link here to the example, so others and myself will be alerted if you post it. Thanks!

May 03, 2007 at 06:50 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.