Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

boris ilky

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

I am interested in trying some of the old manual focus Contax Zeiss lenses on a Canon 5D.

Can you give me a basic advice of things to look for?

Whats "MM" and whats "G" type? Are there further types of Contax Zeiss mounts and which ones will work?

Thanks for helping a total newbie!

Jan 23, 2007 at 04:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

You should look for manual focus Contax/Yashica (C/Y) mount Carl Zeiss T* lenses. They're most often called Contax Carl Zeiss. The AE (autoexposure) and MM (multimode) designations are versions of this mount that will work on your 5D, with the appropriate adapter. On the right Contax body, the AE lens allows manual and aperture-priority exposure modes (e.g. RTS II), and the MM lens allows manual, aperture-priority and shutter-priority exposure modes (e.g. RTS III), with auto-aperture (i.e. the camera closes the aperture to the value that you set when you take the shot). On your 5D, the AE and MM will only operate with manual aperture, but the camera will provide aperture-priority exposure mode (i.e. you compose and focus with the aperture wide open and then stop-down using the aperture ring to take the photo; in Av mode, the 5D will set the correct shutter speed for the stopped-down aperture). See these pages by Bob Atkins and NK Guy for more info on using manual focus lenses on EOS cameras.

The G type lens is for a Contax G or G2 rangefinder and it will not work on a 5D. The N type lens is the current Contax autofocus lens - I'm not sure if the N mount will physically fit on a C/Y mount, but you'd have to pay a lot more money to get the AF version, which will not AF on a Canon body. Here's some links for you to explore about Contax and Carl Zeiss:

ContaxInfo manuals & brochures
Digital Image Studio on RTS II
MIR on RTS
Contax Wiki

You can also use Carl Zeiss Jena lenses on your 5D with the appropriate adapters. Most of the CZJ lenses are M42 mount (also known as Pentax or universal screw), but in my experience the Contax Carl Zeiss lenses are the best.

Edited by jcolwell on Jan 23, 2007 at 02:52 PM GMT

Jan 23, 2007 at 05:37 AM
boris ilky

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

Thanks Jim

Jan 23, 2007 at 05:52 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

Excellent summary. Let me just add that the "MM" lenses are generally newer than the "AE" lenses and in some cases designs changed around that time. Some "AE" (but far from all) have a desirable shape to the aperture blades, but generally speaking the "MM" lenses are slightly more desirable/better -- unless the AE lens was made in Germany and the MM lens was made in Japan (the differences are mostly in the minds of collectors, some users contend that the german-made lenses are better made). I hope I just haven't confused the issues for you.

N mount will not fit on a C/Y mount. The excellent N-mount lenses can be converted to work on Canon providing auto exposure, auto focus andfull EXIF data. For more info on the conversion see: http://en.conurus.com/

Jan 23, 2007 at 06:50 AM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

I too am interested in trying a C/Y lens on a 5D. Can someone give me some clues as to which of their lenses are considered the best.

I don't really care about the focal length. This is just bit of fun for right now and don't have any specific use in mind.

Jan 26, 2007 at 01:39 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

Can someone give me some clues as to which of their lenses are considered the best.

it would be quicker to list those considered not the best. it must be said that not so good for these lenses is often still pretty excellent. when they are not top of the class, the marginally better alternatives are often much more expensive (e.g. Leica R 28).

a very important issue is that some of these lenses would require you to shave down your 5D's mirror with a grinder. i have done this specifically to enable use of my 45 and 28f2. DO NOT MOUNT AN 18mm MM on your 5D. One flip of the mirror can ruin the lens by scraping the rear element.

the lenses that i have used which i wouldn't necessarily recommend are:

18mm: can be damaged and probably not quite as good as Nikon 17-35

28-70: lovely look and sharp enough for most film, but just doesn't resolve enough to make the most of the 5D's rez

25: almost certainly not as good as the new zf version or the Nikon 17-35, or even the Canon 24f1.4, but still better distortion/sharpness/colour than latest Nikon 24 in my test

40-80: i haven't tried it but it's one of the cheaper ones and i have never heard anyone champion it

45: at wider apertures it's not going to use the 5D's full rez but i still love it for its size and pictures have a great look. it renders the 5D almost pocketable!

180: probably no better than canon's 200 or L zooms in this range

200f2: most people will prefer Leica's 180f2 (although i kept the Contax and sold the Leica - tough choice ;-)

I use and enjoy with 5D:
21, 25, 28f2, 28f2.8, 35PC, 35f1.4, 35f2.8, 45, 50f1.7, 85f1.4, 85f2.8, 100macro, 135f2.8, 200f3.5, 200f2, 500f8, 28-85, converted N24-85.

http://cyberphotographer.com/m8v5d/nutella5d.jpg

Jan 26, 2007 at 03:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

Hi Nathan, I suggest you start with the Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 28/2.8 - it's probably the best 28mm bar none and you should be able to pick one up for under $350 US in [M-], or under $250 for [E to E+]. The Contax Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.7 is another great lens, and you can get it for under $150, no sweat. If you want something a bit longer and more expensive, then the Planar T* 85/1.4 is worth a shot for about $500 to $600 US. These three lenses (and many others from Contax Carl Zeiss) tested extremely well at the old photodo (4.3, 4.6 and 4.6), and they have about the highest user review/survey ratings of any ever made. I have the three mentioned above (plus a few more) and I'm keeping them. I must admit that I use my L-zooms more frequently, but if I have a tripod and the time, these are my go-to lenses (plus a few SMC Pentax). I shoot mostly 20D and 30D, but the tests and survey results are based on full frame bodies. I have my 20D set up with a Haoda split-prism focus screen and I have a "focus-confirmation" adapter from eBay user happypagehk for the 85/1.4. You can get more info on prices, survey results and links from my web site www.jcolwell.ca. Of course, if you're after the Holy Grail, then the Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21/2/8 is what you seek, but first you must answer these questions three...

Jan 26, 2007 at 04:50 PM
tootalew
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

I bought my first C/Y CZ in Nov, the 50 1.7, then came then the 50 1.4 both cheap and awsome, then I was offered the 100 f/2 in a trade, and WOW is all I can say about this lens, but its a $900.00 lens and for that price it better say WOW, I also have the 85 1.4 and 135 f/2.8 I like the results from the 85 better than then 85L and have not had time to use the 135, but for $160, I am sure its worth every penny, I really think Canon has the 135 in the bag though. I really think the results I am getting from the Zeiss glass though, is from the T* coating, its a big secret what that T* coating is and what is does. If anybody knows, would you mind spilling the beans? I think it may be responsible for nice contrast.

Jan 26, 2007 at 07:49 PM
kevin2i
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

Don't forget the 35-70mm!

I like the IQ of this lens much more than my 24-70L and just figured out why my mirror was sticking after exposure - there is a block at the top of the mount that I removed and sanded down (see post below for details). Most MM lenses don't use a block just a tab.

I don't want to double post this in a day, but for a look at the mount and sample:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/498887/3

Just ordered more adapters from happypagehk on ebay (discount on 5!) I've got one R and one CY so far, accurate and no problems.

Jan 26, 2007 at 09:11 PM
MarkM6
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

brainiac wrote:
...converted N24-85

What is the conversion associated with this 24-85? I really like the range. Is the 85 end has enough f-stop for portrait?

Thank you for your time,
Mark

Jan 26, 2007 at 11:37 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

the conversion is available here.

http://en.conurus.com/

the lens is fully functional just like a canon.

Jan 27, 2007 at 08:28 PM
SJMD
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

one of our own...

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/adapters_5d.html

main pain http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests

Jan 28, 2007 at 03:27 AM
jasperAmsterda

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

Stephen, i thought the 45 zeiss hits the mirror on the 5d?

Jan 28, 2007 at 06:47 AM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

mine did until i ground the mirror. so did my 28f2. i also have a 28f2.8 which jambs the mirror with various adapters. the info on the 16-9 compatibility chart isn't comprehensive.

Jan 28, 2007 at 06:49 AM
Orio
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D and Zeiss lenses - What to look for?

Lotusm50 wrote:
some users contend that the german-made lenses are better made

Well, I had the great chance of being able to compare two Carl Zeiss 2.8/85mm at a shop before buying them. One was Germany made the other was Japan made.
I had my 400D and my laptop computer. I made a long session with both lenses, more than one hour of shooting, going back and forth to computer in order to upload shots and compare.
At the end, my verdict was that the German made lens was a bit sharper and a bit less contrasted. The Japan made lens at first sight looked better for the bit more contrast, but looking in the shady areas you could see a bit more detail on the German lens.
My decision was to buy the German lens and I did not regret it. You can always add a bit contrast in Photoshop, but you can not restore missing detail. I think that the German made lens was slightly better.
Before going to pay I showed the pictures to the shop person as blind test. In most cases he picked the German lens shot as the better.
Having said that all, I have to conclude by saying that I don't think this is any definitive truth. The difference may not have been caused by the country of production, but only by the normal deviations from standard that each lens have. Maybe another couple of lenses would show the Japan lens as better.

Jan 30, 2007 at 07:31 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.