New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

sravenne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

I am currently debating on whether or not I should trade up from my Tamron 28-75 2.8 to a Canon 28-70 2.8L. I find that my pictures are rather soft. Has anyone had an experience with both of these to compare? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Edited to add:

Is it worth the price difference?

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:30 PM
Art Rosch
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

How are you at post processing? Use sharpening at all? We need to
know that. I have the 28-70L and love it, but apparently the Tamron
is quite a good lens. got sample pics?

Art

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:44 PM
Lone Shepherd
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

Do you mean the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L ?

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:50 PM
sravenne

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

Art Rosch wrote:
How are you at post processing? Use sharpening at all? We need to
know that. I have the 28-70L and love it, but apparently the Tamron
is quite a good lens. got sample pics?

Art

I am okay with post processing, but mostly with color correcting, brightness, contrast, etc. (the simple things). I have used the unsharp mask tool, but I may need to practice more. They always seem to come out too defined. I'll have to find an example picture when I get home.

I do mean the 28-70. There is a 24-70 that came out afterwards, but it's just a little more expensive for me right now.

Aug 22, 2005 at 01:02 PM
Boddu

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

I own the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 lens and am extremely happy with it. I borrowed a friends Canon 24-70 F2.8L lens to play with. I did not have both the lens at the same time so I could not do a side by side comaprison of the pics but from my test results, I am pretty happy with the Tamron. Maybe the copy of the canon lens that I had was not perfect but thats a different issue. The pictures from my Tamron seem sharper.

Another thing to consider is the HUGE price difference. Even if the Canon is better, I don't think the difference in picture quality is that drastic to justify the price difference.

If I had to do it over, I would still get the tamron.

Aug 22, 2005 at 01:02 PM
Boddu

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

Another thing. Its not that I'm anti-canon. I own a couple of Canon L and a couple of non L lenses that I'm very happy with. This is the only non canon lens I own. I don't see the point in paying a LOT more when the performance is similar to the Tamron lens.

Aug 22, 2005 at 01:24 PM
21farms
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

i've owned the 28-70L, 24-70L and the tamron 28-75. here's how the two you are thinking about compare in size:

http://www.pbase.com/norm/image/38969934/original.jpg

all are excellent lenses. when i first got the 24-70L (new), i was extremely disappointed at the misfocusing so while it was going back and forth to canon factory service, i picked up a 28-70L. oh man, what a lens...sharp, colorful, fast...i loved it. but, after canon finally got my 24-70L fixed right, i loved it even better. still, i needed something smaller and lighter and picked up the tamron on a lark. terrific lens and significantly more compact, especially with the hood. just a tad softer at the wide end and perhaps just a tad sharper at the long end in the middle...not enough to really notice i'd say. auto-focus is certainly faster on the canons and i noticed more keepers when shooting moving objects with the canons, probably because the AF can keep up better. if you want to pixel-peep, you can look here: http://www.pbase.com/norm/canon_v_tamron personally, if yours is "soft", i'd check for front or back focus and send it to tamron for calibration if necessary.

Aug 22, 2005 at 02:01 PM
eeprete
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

Send the lens to Tamron for calibration if you feel it's soft. I had one and it was almost as sharp as both the 28-70 and subsequent 24-70 I have now. My onlycomplains were the reverse zoom functionality, the slower focusing, and the build quality was not L class. But then again, neither was the price. It's a real sleeper of a deal lens, for the price. Even having the 24-70, I'vew still considered picking up another 28-75 just to use as a walkaround lens, bc it's so lightweight.

Aug 22, 2005 at 02:25 PM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 28-70 2.8L vs. Tamron 28-75

I think you'll find the Tamron is just as sharp as the 28-70L, however I like the color and contrast of L just a wee bit better (though the Tamron is very very close) and the USM on the L. Is it worth the extra money? It depends on the person and their use. But I wouldn't recommend upgrading for better sharpness, because you'll probably be dissapointed.

Aug 22, 2005 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.