New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

harveyc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Note: I started this out on the B&S Forum, but it was too much of a fundraising sort of thing I was trying and I'd rather not make a moderator have to deal with it.

Tired of waiting for a Stofen Omnibounce for your new Canon 580ex? Or is Gary Fong's LightSphere II seem a little too obnoxious in appearance?

Here is an alternative that you wouldn't expect to find on any other forum, much less here at FM! This is the brand new RA Bounce Dome is in mint condition. It's obviously in mint condition since it just came off the "mint" yesterday when I created it. My friend "Pidge" commented recently that the prices of these difusers were outragously priced compared to the cost of the materials. That got my mind thinking...why not make my own

I am not that creative of a thinker in general and, admittedly, and usually take some pretty ordinary photos. But it didn't take long before the perfect material came to mind. Since my 580ex came in Friday and I had a little event I wanted to photograph last night, I started and completed this nifty bounce in a matter of 30 minutes or so. Here it is!

http://www.chestnuts.us/images/RAbounce.jpg

What in the heck you say? It worked pretty well actually, and is a custom difuser you won't find available anywhere else. Manufactured from a Rite Aid rubbing alcohol (thus "RA") bottle, the top was cut off on my Delta Unisaw (the 1Ds of table saws) and the edges were sanded to avoid scratching my new 580ex. It was close, but did not quite fit the 580ex head. No problem! I put on some gloves and heated it up over my stove's gas burner and slightly stretched it out to the perfect "glove" fit for the 580ex.

Pretty cool, huh?

Dec 12, 2004 at 12:15 PM
PatrickR
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Pretty ingenious! Now, how about lining the inside rear with some foil to deflect the light in a more forward fashion?

Dec 12, 2004 at 01:00 PM
harveyc
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Hmmm... can I patent that idea?

Dec 12, 2004 at 03:42 PM
WesleyWong
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

lol.

Dec 12, 2004 at 04:01 PM
Chris Kim

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

I'd like to see some test shots using it whenever you get around to it ...

Dec 12, 2004 at 05:10 PM
harveyc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Okay, Chris! If one of my models won't give me a smile, this is what she gets! She'll probably get even later....

http://www.chestnuts.us/images/RAbounceS1.jpg

Dec 12, 2004 at 11:18 PM
GoldenBoy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

You can buy the omni-bounce from Stofen Store online:

link: http://www.stofen.com/Store/Products.htm

Dec 12, 2004 at 11:29 PM
harveyc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Yeah, I've already seen that now.

harveyc wrote:
these difusers were outragously priced compared to the cost of the materials. That got my mind thinking...why not make my own

$20 plus shipping plus tax (I'm in Calif) is high, IMO. I'll get one eventually, probably from B&H.

Dec 12, 2004 at 11:38 PM
harveyc
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

BTW, B&H now has the Stofen Omni-Bounce OM-EY in stock for $16.95.

Dec 13, 2004 at 09:42 AM
vsethi
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

I received my 580 EX from Dell .. just 2 hours back.

While filling in batteries, I noticed that the batter-compartment covers
slides smoothly but the flip-open motion is not smooth.

In fact it feels like .. it dangles when opened completely.
Is this the same with all 550 and 580 flashes ?
I own a sigma 500 and that one opens up smoothly.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
vikas

Dec 13, 2004 at 09:36 PM
harveyc
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Yes, it's the same, unfortunately. I thought my first 550ex was defective when I got it but figured it wasn't after looking at the design more closely. My second 550ex and my 580ex were/are all pretty much the same.

Dec 13, 2004 at 09:46 PM
vsethi
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

harveyc wrote:
Yes, it's the same, unfortunately. I thought my first 550ex was defective when I got it but figured it wasn't after looking at the design more closely. My second 550ex and my 580ex were/are all pretty much the same.

wow that's a real bad design then .
I mean power is the life for any electronic product and having a
poorly-designed battery-comparment, shows that they probably
cared only about the photographic-results ...

Dec 13, 2004 at 09:54 PM
harveyc
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

I wouldn't go that far!

More importantly, what do you think of my "bounce"?

Dec 13, 2004 at 10:05 PM
MrJStamp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

The battery door on the 550EX feels "weird" when opening it, but I've decided it's not a sign that it is about to fail. It latches open and closes OK, it's just a strange design. I've not heard of anyone actually breaking one...

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:41 PM
Whaler
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Wow! The bounce is great. Okay Harvey, let me get this straight, you heated the cut area of the bottle, then stretched it over the 580? Yes, line the back with aluminum foil or copper foil for a diferent look. Hmmmmm

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:41 PM
harveyc
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Yes, that's right, Mike (Whaler). I did it bare-handed at first and then got smart and put on some leather gloves. It didn't need much stretching.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:44 PM
MrJStamp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Original 580ex RA Bounce

Cool idea. I like the Lightsphere idea of a mixed diffuser and open top, so you get a mix of light when aiming at the ceiling.

I have the Stofen and am happy with it although still experimenting. I find that shooting with it direct can still give too-harsh shadows if there is a wall within 2-3 feet behind the subject. Aiming it at the ceiling can also give an artificially flat light which is not pleasing. I've been experimenting with aiming off a (side) wall to give some deliberate side light, or even bouncing off a wall behind me. Also mixing ambient and flash by playing with ISO setting and shutter speed.

I guess the bottom line is there is no universal answer and it's best to look around at each circumstance and try a couple of things. Besides with digital, "the film is free" so no downside to throwing away most of the shots.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.