Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

^^Just bought 2 of these....Thanks!

Mar 28, 2011 at 02:22 PM
VPell
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

the average wedding DJ is better at his job than the average wedding photographer, so i guess they're just trying to compensate for our industry's failings

Mar 28, 2011 at 02:33 PM
JakeB.
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

^ Admittedly I don't hang out with a lot of DJ's, but I know a lot more good photographers than I've seen good DJ's :shrug:

Mar 28, 2011 at 03:31 PM
emandavi
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

They're expanding their business.... for another 500, they'll do both the DJing and the photography. What better way to get images for their portfolio than to take photos at an event that they have to be at anyway.

That's terrible.

Mar 28, 2011 at 03:39 PM
emandavi
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

VPell wrote:
the average wedding DJ is better at his job than the average wedding photographer, so i guess they're just trying to compensate for our industry's failings

That's a damn lie!

Mar 28, 2011 at 03:40 PM
openedeyes
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

My best friend is getting married later this year, and I've been going with her to all the bridal fairs to check out DJ's, and venues, and all that good stuff. Well, last month, one DJ was talking with her, and asked who her photographer was. She mentioned me, and he was all "Oh yeah, I've worked with them a ton, they're so awesome!" She smiled at him, and said, "Funny, she's not shooting her first wedding until next month."

Last night. First wedding. Guess who the DJ was.

And also, turns out, he fancies himself a Monster Truck Announcer, and has no clear understanding of "spreading out events." He made them do the toast, bouquet toss, garter toss (which the groom accidentally shot in the bride's face, fyi) first dance, etc. So. They still had 2 more hours of reception time, and this clown was done, and asking where the buffet table was, so he could hit on the 16 year old bridesmaid. All I can say is "unimpressed."

Mar 28, 2011 at 05:03 PM
p150
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

openedeyes wrote:
My best friend is getting married later this year, and I've been going with her to all the bridal fairs to check out DJ's, and venues, and all that good stuff. Well, last month, one DJ was talking with her, and asked who her photographer was. She mentioned me, and he was all "Oh yeah, I've worked with them a ton, they're so awesome!" She smiled at him, and said, "Funny, she's not shooting her first wedding until next month."

Nice

has no clear understanding of "spreading out events." He made them do the toast, bouquet toss, garter toss (which the groom accidentally shot in the bride's face, fyi) first dance, etc. So. They still had 2 more hours of reception time, and this clown was done

While I'll admit he has no business setting the schedule and forcing his own timeline, I don't think "spreading out events" is necessarily the best way, either.

Many times, a couple chooses to have all of their events up front because:

- guests will leave and miss things

- time may be up with vendors

- they want to be able to spend time dancing or talking with family and guests without
interruption every 15 minutes

- they WANT the older folks (grandparents especially) to get to see the events then split so they don't have to watch drunken guests grinding on each other

- it allows the crowd who just wants to see the events do so and leave the party crowd to live it up all night. The alternative is: entrance, party a bit, first dance, party a bit, parent dances, party a bit, cake cut, party a bit, toasts, party a bit... which is disappointing to both crowds.

That's not to say that there's never a time where spreading things out may be the better choice, but I've seen so many people assume that's the way it should always be.

Mar 28, 2011 at 05:23 PM
ynwtf

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

For what it's worth, it's a whole other mindset. They're looking for something new to market, are clueless to the concerns of the photographer, and I guess boredom?

My best friend is a DJ and has recently picked up 7d. He has good connections with most of the photographers in the area so has no problem requesting images from them, which he does; however, he feels that he has to chase them when they agree to provide images for his site (ya, there are photographic priorities on getting images to the client first that he doesn't see or really appreciate, but that sorta goes to my point... he doesn't appreciate). Since picking up a 7d on the cheap, he just sees it as being easier to snap the shots himself than to call or email the photog who may or may not provide anything. And with all of the photog connections, he can get fast how-to's that may lead to a false sense of confidence in the equipment to boot.

Too, he's bored (my assumption). The software available can put the DJ on autopilot for a huge chunk of time. Lights are already automated, tracks are in a playlist, etc. Plug in a laptop with your MP3 library and go have a drink. Hell, this last wedding he was downloading the First Dance track during the reception! Everyone has access to entry- and mid-level DSLRs. It's just a matter of time before people find a way to turn that into some marketable PoS. He's already fishing for info on how to setup a photobooth for next year. bleh.

I will say that, in his case at least, he is oblivious as to how he may be affecting the pro photog at the events he services. I often get phone calls where he's begging me to come take pics at some reception to post on his website---when there is already a paid photog on the job. He literally can not comprehend how that would be a negative against the hired pro, someone else thumbing around with gear distracting and confusing guests as to who is the pro. That guests WILL assume the DJ stumbling about calling out for shots is WITH the hire photog. Seriously. To him, it's as a win win. Photog does what they want, and he gets the shots that he wants without having to follow up. I even tried the arguement to say what if someone just set up a turn table and speaker in the middle of a reception? His honest answer was that it wouldn't bother him. He's still getting paid regardless.

DJs.... can't really reason with them. That's my experience so far. me <3 the baseball bat idea though.

- noel.

Mar 28, 2011 at 05:56 PM
sundevilstorm
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

how about networking WITH the vendors by shooting high quality details and GIVING them the shots for their use. Most will appreciate and remember the gesture and maybe even point some clients your way. If a DJ wants to shoot the crowd dancing, more power to 'em, I enjoy drunks dancing the least anyway

Mar 29, 2011 at 01:11 AM
MBMK
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

absolutely nothing wrong with this. as long as they don't start getting infront of you let it be. they most likely want it for their website and probably asked the clients about it beforehand.

and if you can make deal with him. or sell some of yours to him for website because it'll probably look more professional than his unless he's studid photography in the past and decided to go the DJ route.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · DJs Taking Photos at Receptions

I've never seen it, but the wedding industry is a small and tightly knit industry. Make friends with the DJ. The last wedding I shot the DJ asked me if I'd mind snapping a picture or two of him for his website. It took me 15 seconds and we now chat through email once in a while. I'd love to work with him again - he was professional, and not a "party dj" but a true Disc Jockey professional. And he mentioned to me that he'd happily refer me to brides and event coordinators because I did my best to keep to his timeline.

Mar 29, 2011 at 02:58 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.